+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 32 12311 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week

Default Government financial support for working mums

I'm curious to know how other mums feel about this. Working mums receive more financial support from the government than stay at home mums.

I am a working mum and my SIL is a sahm. She feels as though this payment variance devalues stay at home mums. Where as I see it as she didn't have an income before baby, so the government doesn't give her one after baby. I know I would have been back at work a lot sooner if it wasn't for the government assistance, my salary is important to our household survival!

Do you think these payments should be the same for all mums?

Thanks
    Reviews
    I agree with you.

Also, I figure I've paid considerable tax on what I've earned working full time for the past decade, so it's nice to get something back (at a time when it is really appreciated!).

Wasn't it brought in to help retain more women in the workforce? Although the scheme has an obvious benefit to the individual, it also helps employers & wider society - which is why a greater amount is offered.

The Govt PPL scheme added to my employer leave means I can spend a whole year at home with our child before returning to part time work. Definitely makes a big difference to our household.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I agree with both of you. Nothing against stay at home mums but I work long hours to provide an income to the household and rarely get to spend time with the kids because I work so much. It would be nice to be able to cut back on occasion and not worrying about going broke.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Well, my opinion isn't going to be popular. I think this 'middle class welfare' is a bit much. If you have a child, you are responsible for that child and that includes financial responsibility. So you should pony up the cash, working or stay at home.

Facts are that parents who work pay tax, and therefore the government has a self interest in promoting employment. They have an incentive to encourage that.

I just think your family should be your own to support, barring emergencies and extreme circumstances in which welfare is then applied. Working or stay at home mum - they should be treated the same.

5. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to MamaNurture For This Useful Post:

BiNdI86  (01-07-2013),BlissedOut  (01-07-2013),Cdro  (07-07-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I've been both a working and a stay at home Mum.

I worked because my family needed the extra income. Had I not received a CCR or CCB it would have been pointless. Paying for daycare, plus other work related costs I'd have been breaking even, not earning an income.

I'm now fortunate enough that my husband earns enough for me to stay home. While I kind of think my husband pays more than enough tax to warrant some kind of family assistance, I do believe we're making a choice for me to stay at home and therefor should support ourselves.

Buttoneska is offline Winner 2010- Most Community Minded Thread Award
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    How do working mums receive more then sahm?

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Buttoneska For This Useful Post:

Silvana  (06-07-2013),SpecialPatrolGroup  (06-07-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    No of course payments should not all be the same! Ridiculous idea. The PPL is not a "salary" for being a mum, and neither is the BB.

10. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to kw123 For This Useful Post:

babyla  (01-07-2013),Chippa  (01-07-2013),NancyBlackett  (01-07-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Buttoneska View Post
    PPL v BB

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/1/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 7/11/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 3/10/14100 Posts in a week
    Baby bonus is being cut but ppl isn't?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Through ftb a and b.