+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Benefits/Negatives of Co-Sleeping

Hi guys

So I don't know anything about co-sleeping & instead of using good old google I thought I would ask on here instead.. Can someone explain the benefits/negatives of co-sleeping.. Can be from personal experience or information you've heard/read...

I recently went to visit my Nanna to introduce her to my son and it was 1 degree at night so I had my son in bed with me for a couple of nights cause it was far too cold for him in the portacot & I found he had a much sounder sleep.. So now I'm interested to learn a bit more about it & whether it could benefit my son & I.

Thanks

Thanks
    Reviews
    Our ds is a cosleeper and has been from day one. DH works fifo so it doesn't put a strain on our relationship. Main reason I coslept ds was because bfing at night was so much easier. This time round though I refuse to have another cosleeper and dd will be in her bassinet from day dot unless she is excessively clingy and feeds a lot......I love sleeping with ds and we both sleep better when in the same bed but he can't settle himself or sleep a full night in his own bed. It's something I regret doing but also not at the same time....,.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Co-sleeping isn't something I planned on doing, but I love it. I put DD to sleep in her bassinet but when she wakes for a feed she comes into bed with me (breast fed).

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by mummtime101 View Post
    Our ds is a cosleeper and has been from day one. DH works fifo so it doesn't put a strain on our relationship. Main reason I coslept ds was because bfing at night was so much easier. This time round though I refuse to have another cosleeper and dd will be in her bassinet from day dot unless she is excessively clingy and feeds a lot......I love sleeping with ds and we both sleep better when in the same bed but he can't settle himself or sleep a full night in his own bed. It's something I regret doing but also not at the same time....,.
    How old is your son now mummtime?? I also found it incredibly easy to breast feed having him right there lol.. It was such a nice luxury not having to get out of bed & fetch him from his bassinet!! But I guess one of the negatives for you would be him not wanting to sleep in his own bed now... I find my son sleeps better in my bed full stop.. Even when I'm not in there. Like if I feed him in bed & he falls asleep & I get up and leave him there.. He seems to nap longer than he would in his bassinet.. I'm thinking it could be the familiar smell??

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    DD1 coslept until she was 2 and was quite easy to transition to her own bed.

I cosleep with DD3 and as you have mentioned she sleeps much better than she does on her own.

Pros (for me):
    Bonding
    Easy to settle bub during the night
    Warmth
    Able to respond to bubs needs quickly
    Very easy to breastfeed
    I love having her right next to me

Cons:
    I can't sleep however I want in bed
    She wants it during the day to

For me the pros far outweigh any cons. The only reason I didn't cosleep with DD2 was because she preferred her own sleeping space.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    We Co-slept with ds1 mainly for ease of breastfeeding. It was just convenient. We started off having him sleep in a bassinet but he hated it. Woke constantly. Co-sleeping did wonders for all our sleeping. He moved into a bed at about 15 or so months and has been an awesome sleeper, he is now 7.

With ds2 we didn't Co-sleep. He was a much better sleeper in his bassinet so the need never arose. I would lift him out, feed him and attempt to sleep but he would fuss. As soon as I put him back in his bassinet he'd be out.

Basically, pros were: easy to feed, warmth, awesome cuddle time.
    Cons: unable to sleep in different positions (I'm a sprawler so it's important to me), reduces intimacy between you and your OH, can set up dependency for sleeping with bub.

Sent from my GT-I9100T using The Bub Hub mobile app

Thanks
    Reviews
    Pros: Definitely the ease of breastfeeding aspect. DD doesn't even have to cry at night so its minimal disturbance for everyone in the house. Plus its cold so I don't have to get out of bed. Plus being so close means they can better regulate their temperature and their breathing off yours. She also sleeps much better. Cons: I only sleep in one position all night so I can get sore.

harvs is offline Winner 2014 - Spirit of BubHub Award
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/4/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 2/4/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 19/3/15Busiest Member of the Week200 Posts in a week
    I'm trying to stop the co-sleeping thing because at the moment I sleep in a nursery with DS and I'm dying to get back into my comfy bed with DH. Also, for me, I wonder if I do it more because of how it makes me feel/convenience than benefits for my son. Anyhoo:

Pros: can sleep while feeding; feel good factor; stay warm in cold nights

Cons: sometimes spewed on!; disruptive to get up and go to the toilet; limited mobility and sore muscles next day from sleeping frozen in one position; inconsistent approach (sometimes bring him in with me, sometimes try to shush pat), which is hard when sleep training; my son lets me know he's awake for the day by snuggling up to me then slapping my face 😳

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by cassieh View Post
    How old is your son now mummtime?? I also found it incredibly easy to breast feed having him right there lol.. It was such a nice luxury not having to get out of bed & fetch him from his bassinet!! But I guess one of the negatives for you would be him not wanting to sleep in his own bed now... I find my son sleeps better in my bed full stop.. Even when I'm not in there. Like if I feed him in bed & he falls asleep & I get up and leave him there.. He seems to nap longer than he would in his bassinet.. I'm thinking it could be the familiar smell??
    He is 2.5 years so definatly growing up and should be heading into his own bed. He has always slept best in bed with me or in our bed alone. Ds sleeps in his own bed during the day if he naps(hardly ever) but night time if he was to sleep in his bed he has to be settled on the couch and once asleep moved to his bed. He then climbs in our bed no later than 11pm.....he has always been a clingy child and holds hands when he is sleeping and basically lies on top of me or smothers me.....strangely doesn't bother me haha.

Dreading if he never has the urge to sleep in his own bed......

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mummtime101 View Post
    Ha this is us exactly!!

Sent from my GT-I9505 using The Bub Hub mobile app