+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default When to transition into a bed?

I'm just curious at when you moved your kids into beds? And what sort of bedding did they use?

My 16 month old still sleeps in his grobag, in his cot. I'm keen to hear other people's stories in how they moved into using quilts etc, and when you moved from cots to beds

Thanks
    Reviews
    Ds was in a bed at 18 months because he some how was able to climb out of his cot.....not safe haha.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to mummtime101 For This Useful Post:

Monkey'sMummy  (01-07-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks
    Anyone else?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    My son will be 3 in a couple of weeks and he's still in his. I changed him when he could climb out, but it was a disaster. I just put the side rail down so if he climbs out, it's low. He is very attached to it.

My dd1 moved out just before 2 and it was no problem.

Thanks
    Reviews
    DD is 2 and a half and still in a cot, but we switched to a doona a few weeks ago. She's been great. She tends to stay under it and she's slept really well.

I'm in no rush to take the bars off her cot! (It converts to toddler bed). I'm not ready for her to escape!

Thanks
    Reviews
    My DS is 16 months and I've just started using a quilt and pillow now...

I was happy using sleeping bags but the last one I got had the hole for the seat belt and he kept waking up with his leg poking out of it... So I put the quilt in before I got another sleeping bag and he seemed to like it so I left it

I have no idea when ill transition to a bed though... He is no where near ready, constantly here him banging into the sides of the cot so I think he would fall out

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I introduced a pillow and cot quilt at 16 months, at 18 months I moved DD to a mattress on the floor with a full size doona (still use a grobag though as she doesn't always keep it on). Then at 20 months put the real bed in there with a side rail. Absolutely no issues with the changes and she's never gotten up.

Personally I believe it's better to change them before they become too aware. I swapped when I was still smarter than her, but just a few short months later I think she is smarter than me . But she's used to her bed so its not an issue. If I was transitioning now I think she would hop up, glad I did it earlier.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I think introducing a pillow stopped her moving around the cot so much.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I moved DD into a toddler bed at around 18 months. I did however introduce her to a bed at daycare first to see how she would go. She slept on the beds at daycare for about 3 weeks before i bought her a bed at home. I figured if she slept on one there with all the distractions then she would do ok at home. By this stage she was also trying to climb out of the cot as well so it was a safety thing as well.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Oh and she was using a pillow and a quilt or blankets from 12months