+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    αληθη is offline BH name read as Aleethee
    Winner 2012 - One most likely to be hacked by Nomsie
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default Your birthday

How do you enjoy your birthday? I'm having a hard time adjusting to it being just another day when growing up birthdays used to be a big thing for us. I make a big deal for dp's birthday but find my birthday really mundane and not special.

Sent from my talky stick

London is offline “I think we're losing our sense of humor instead of being able to relax and laugh at ourselves" - Betty White
    Winner 2012 - BubHubber you'd like to meet IRL
    Winner 2012 - Best Avatar

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    MY birthday is hugely important to me. I dont need a big celebration but I want it to be a great day. Thankfully, DP has been informed and reminded of this over and over so he always makes sure that I get whatever I want on my birthday.....I dont ask for much but I always get a cake with candles and get happy birthday sang to me We never usually buy each other presents for anything (birthday, Xmas, Valentines, anniversary) but he bought me earings for my bday last year and it made me feel sooo good....he has now set an expectation for further years haha We didnt do anything special, DP worked all day, but we had a nice meal at home followed by cake.

Last year I decided that every year I will have a fancy cake on my birthday....last year I ordered Snow White cupcakes for myself and this year I think I will get a ruffle cake made. Seems stupid but its just a small way to enjoy my birthday.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Make it special! We always had a big deal made over our birthdays and still do - its fun- plus I love getting DS excited to make cards and buy presents for people - it's DH birthday next week

I always plan something for my birthday - I organise a birthday dinner with friends and a separate one with family - trust me by the time I was about 22 everyone would ring me and say " where are we going for your birthday this year" and still do now at 42!

Some people think its up to others to organise their birthday but seriously as an an adult - I think do it yourself - that way you go where you want and no one ever forgets - so many people i know spend birthdays alone or complain every one forgets but don't let them - life's too short to sulk !

Thanks
    Reviews
    As a rule for me no matter what there MUST be a cake with candles and Happy Birthday sung and I always do this for DH's Birthday too, no matter how old we get! I guess I was just bought up like that where DH wasn't so I make sure it gets done no matter what. We have also started every year blowing up a heap of balloons for each other the night before our birthdays so we wake up to a heap of balloons in our main living area lol.
    When our kiddies come along I am sure they will love it and I want them to be the same with their partners/family one day.

Thanks
    Reviews
    DH's idea of a nice birthday for me is to wait to the last minute, invite guests over and then leave me to shop, cook, clean the house and do the clean up afterwards. Sometimes the guests bring a cheap cake that I'm obliged to eat...which sounds ungrateful doesn't it - but it's usually something that they like or done on the cheap and with insulin resistance I can't eat that sort of thing so it's a big wasted treat that I don't enjoy and feel grosse afterwards about...oh, and the guests don't even eat it themselves as it doesn't fit within their 'diet' either.

So, I've told DH not to 'do' anything for my birthday in the future.

Thanks
    Reviews
    DH always makes a big deal of my birthday. The night before he always sends me to bed so he can put up a banner and balloons lol I get very spoilt by him but I think it's his way of keeping my mind off the fact that my family don't give a sh!t.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Mine & DH's birthdays are only a couple of days apart, his first. So it kind of sucks, cause I don't feel like a special fuss gets made over mine because they're so close together...we kind fo 'share' our bday each year IYKWIM... And we don't usually do gifts, because with both bdays at the same time, we don't reall have the budget for two gifts (what with a mortgage and a bub on the way!).

But we do always have a family get together for our birthdays in my family, so that's always nice

Thanks
    Reviews
    We usually do a family dinner out. This year I'll have a 4mnth old DD.

For my 21st 2 years ago DH and my mum organized me a surprise high tea with all my family and friends. I had seriously no idea and nearly died of embarrassment when I opened the door to the back room and it was packed with people who yelled "SUPRISEEEEEEEEE".

Very sweet though.

London is offline “I think we're losing our sense of humor instead of being able to relax and laugh at ourselves" - Betty White
    Winner 2012 - BubHubber you'd like to meet IRL
    Winner 2012 - Best Avatar

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by sam4frankie View Post
    Mine & DH's birthdays are only a couple of days apart, his first. So it kind of sucks, cause I don't feel like a special fuss gets made over mine because they're so close together...we kind fo 'share' our bday each year IYKWIM... And we don't usually do gifts, because with both bdays at the same time, we don't reall have the budget for two gifts (what with a mortgage and a bub on the way!).

But we do always have a family get together for our birthdays in my family, so that's always nice
    DP and I are a few days apart too...so he has his birthday and 3days afterwards then I have my birthday and 3 days afterwards....that way its totally separate

Thanks
    Reviews
    yeah I find myself in a bad mood eventually on my birthdays.. it annoys me because for everyone else's b'day, including dh's, I go out of my way organising things, plus cake etc, but for mine nobody says anything. and dh says "'why didn't you buy yourself a cake?'' Why would I buy MYSELF a cake?! I would have thought he would at least go buy it.