+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Support from local Doctors

Hi there,
    Am a bit nervous on my first posting here. Apologies if this is a question that has been raised and discussed before. If it is, let me know the link!

We are at the start of our ED journey - we have reached out to many agencies and clinics and have decided to proceed with a place in Bangkok (SAFE / IVF Miracle baby). This decision was a combination of reviews/postings we found, travelling distance from Sydney and wanting a mixed Asian/Caucasian donor as I myself am half chinese/caucasian. I have low ovarian reserve (high fsh, low amh, triple X syndrome) and as upsetting as it is, am 'perimenopausal'. I hated seeing that word in black and white (how can a single word hurt so much?!). We've been trying for 4 years, tried IUI but got turned down for IVF and now feel the only option is ED....

We discovered our infertility issues whilst living in HK and the Doctor/nurses we saw there were top notch. We then moved to Sydney 7 months ago and hooked up with Dr Jeffrey Persson of IVF Australia immediately. I'm still not sure on him. Our appointments are short and sweet and direct to the point, which we like; he says he's going to include information on the Doctor summary/letter so we come away feeling better about things. However, when we receive the letter (and sometimes we haven't and I've had to go into the clinic and ask for it), it is short and full of basic grammatical and spelling errors. It makes me think that if his attention to detail in a basic letter is lacking, what about other areas?
    For example he used the word 'weighted' instead of 'waited'.
    Secondly, it is difficult to get consultation appointments with him - we had to book 3 weeks in advance! Whereas in HK, I could call up and get an appointment that day.
    He is fully onboard with supporting us this end with an ED cycle in Bangkok and we pay a flat fee for this. In our latest meeting with him he mentioned that we shouldn't use Progynova and there are better Estradial Valerates we could use and he said that he would put this in the summary letter - of course nothing like this appeared on the letter. So we are thinking, was he just asserting himself and telling us how great his experience and knowledge is and he will discuss this detail later down the line?

Has anyone had experiences like this with their local aussie Doctor? Should we be concerned or is it a case of he's simply busy and doesn't have time to write 'good letter's? I'm worried that if we need an appointment quickly to discuss lining issues etc, will it happen or will we be left hanging?

If it had been possible to return to HK for this whole thing, we would have done but unfortunately due to hubby work commitments, we cannot.

Appreciate advice.
    Thanks. xx

------
    me 35, dh 32
    TTC 4 years

Thanks
    Reviews
    Oh, I forgot to add that when we got turned down for an IVF cycle (news delivered over the telephone by the nurse and offered no appointment to discuss it further), we did go and see another Dr for a second opinion at Genea. This did help us to come to the decision of proceeding with ED. However given this Dr had a strong bias to Genetics, she didn't have a good understanding of my triple X condition which concerned us. Therefore we decided to return to the original Dr at IVF Australia.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I don't have any comment on the actual conception issues, but I just wanted to reassure you that a poorly written letter is usually no reflection on the persons medical skills.

Most doctors dictate their letters and reports into a digi recorder and they are typed by someone else (then a quick proof read by the doctor before signing), or some use voice recognition software so they can dictate and the letter is 'typed' automatically by the computer. Hence why a weighted/waited error could occur easily.

Even though it is annoying, those kind of errors wouldn't factor into my decision making at all.

Good luck x.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi Jellyfishie,
    Thank-you for your reply and advice.
    With everything going on, I'm just being overly sensitive/cautious. It's good to know that I shouldn't be worried about this.

SAS.