+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Jellyfishie View Post
    Do more quilts!! That photo you posted the other day was awesome

My only advice is to be discerning in how much time you commit to handmade projects for people who may not appreciate them. I've been burned a few times putting hours and hours of work into projects, only to see them treated like they are some $2 crap from Bali.

I think *most* people genuinely love handmade stuff, but I've got one friend who will definitely only be getting shop-stuff from me from now on...I honestly think her perception was that I was being a tight-*ss by making her baby something instead of buying a pressie! I was devo.
    I have to agree 100%. I am a quilter and love making quilts and other projects. People don't understand the time and money (!) that goes into making one. You are always best off making one for someone you know will appreciate it. If you can't afford to, or have the time to make a quilt, about other items such as pillows (decorative obviously, but can be used as bubs gets older), or things like a growth chart (google them, made the same way as quilts).

Bubhub Blogger
    Just back from my own baby shower. Received the most beautiful handmade quilt. As a fellow quilter I really appreciated how much work went into this one. I was also surprised, as I wasn't aware that this person was a quilter so I really appreciated the gift.

I also loved the books I was given, as they were clearly picked with thought and care.

Grateful for all the wonderful practical, useful things I received (washers, bottles, singlets and bibs to name a few).

I don't really do a big baby shower gift, knowing that bub will arrive shortly after I'd prefer to give a gift for that. So for baby showers I usually do handmade taggies and burp cloths. My sisters and mum with the assistance of my sisters mil made my dd the most beautiful animal quilt. It is amazing but still too big to use in the cot. When she was little we were given a knitted receiving blanket by one of my dh's regular customers. That was such a surprise and such a beautiful gift, perfect size for snuggling her in the first winter.