+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Jellyfishie View Post
    Do more quilts!! That photo you posted the other day was awesome

My only advice is to be discerning in how much time you commit to handmade projects for people who may not appreciate them. I've been burned a few times putting hours and hours of work into projects, only to see them treated like they are some $2 crap from Bali.

I think *most* people genuinely love handmade stuff, but I've got one friend who will definitely only be getting shop-stuff from me from now on...I honestly think her perception was that I was being a tight-*ss by making her baby something instead of buying a pressie! I was devo.
    How horrible... I got teary at a baby shower yesterday as there was some lovely homemade stuff there and I felt disappointed that none of my family/friends had done that for us.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    It depends on the recipient.

Some people have no appreciation for handmade.

Personally, I love handmade gifts.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to BlissedOut For This Useful Post:

Mellie29  (30-06-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Handmade gifts are lovely! We've so far received a crocheted baby blanket and know that there is a handmade quilt and some knitted clothes on the way. I'm touched that people would spend their valuable time making such lovely things for us.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Gentoo For This Useful Post:

Mellie29  (30-06-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I would have absolutely loved a hand made quilt!!! I have a beautiful girlfriend that made home made jams and chutneys for Christmas last year, wrapped in brown paper and twine with a little sprig of rosemary. It was devine, and I'm stealing the idea this Christmas. I adore handmade things, but I know some people that wouldn't appreciate it. For those people I wouldn't bother and would just buy something for them.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to RandR For This Useful Post:

Mellie29  (30-06-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    My dd is almost 6 and the handmade gifts are the only things I have really kept
    She has a patchwork dog with her name embroided on, a quilt which is double sided, few knitted blankets/outfits.
    Last edited by mummyrissa; 30-06-2013 at 10:43.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to mummyrissa For This Useful Post:

Mellie29  (30-06-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I love handmade!!! In fact I am starting a shop on etsy.com selling handmade bibs, burb cloths, baby shoes, toys etc. There is a huge market for them.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to WiseOldOwl For This Useful Post:

Mellie29  (30-06-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - Most posts for the week ended 26/6/14
    I would love to get handmade items. I know my gran will have made a couple things for when she comes over in December and a work colleague asked me if i mind homemade baby clothes and blankets. If that is your passion and creative outlet i say go for it! I never knew etsy existed until a couple months ago and love browsing all the beauitful things

Sent from my GT-P3110 using The Bub Hub mobile app

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Me&Smooches For This Useful Post:

Mellie29  (30-06-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I love the idea of receiving hand made things! They are so much more personal :-)

15. The Following User Says Thank You to LaDiDah For This Useful Post:

Mellie29  (30-06-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks everyone - great to have all the opinions. I'm going to keep going with the quilts

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the WeekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 5/2/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 31/10/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 24/10/14Busiest Member of the Week
    A lovely lady at our school made ds2 a beautiful fire engine quilt and matching pillow case for his fifth birthday a few months ago. It was his favorite presents . He won't go to sleep with out it.

Sent from my GT-P5110 using The Bub Hub mobile app