+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Ok. So the only reason I asked is because I would not have coped had it been my first. I was only abke to do this with him because I figured out he was just protesting and being a big pia. What I'm getting at is, it is much harder to be tough when it's your first. A tiny bit easier (still makes me want to cry) when its a subsequent child. Lol

I had to do tough love and just let him scream it out (it wasnt completely constant, he would stop every 5-10ish minutes to listen for me if I was coming, then start again). Even to the point of hysterics (which I hated) but it was the only thing that helped a little. I just could not spend all.night every night in there with him trying to get him to sleep.

I basically would go in there 2 times to re-settle. Onlya picking him up to calm him, then pit him straight back down (at which point he would scream. I woukd pat him for about 2 minutes (while he was screaming) then walk out. (And before anyone gets up in arms, I had spent weeks comforting for hours and hours with no change) I just realised that his screaming was protesting. That was it. His sister would just cry for a few minutes on and off and then fall asleep.

Eventually he got a bit better but what completely solved it was time. And him getting sick a few weeks ago and now because he is so tired and still sick, I can put him in bed awake and he goes all on his own. I also started putting him in a sleeping bag when he started the screaming. Didnt help. Lol

He also would never take any sleep aid. Ever. Even from birth. He hated everything I gave him as an association of sleep.

Still, I really hope you find something that helps. It is such a sucky thing to go through. But definitely try getting someone else to do it and you get out of the house. Lol (sorry for the novel haha)

Sent from my GT-I9300T using The Bub Hub mobile app
    Last edited by Turk EnJayDee; 29-06-2013 at 23:06.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Turk EnJayDee For This Useful Post:

Sally1981  (30-06-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Is it different on the days he doesn't have the 3rd sleep?

Have you tried a later bedtime?

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Bubbles10 For This Useful Post:

Sally1981  (30-06-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Turk - thank you so much for your support. I think a little bit of CIO can't hurt, only because nothing will stop him crying except falling asleep in my arms and when he does that, all it does is take the edge off his tiredness and make it easier for him to keep going. This does feel like a protest cry, a tantrum really. I guess I just have to stick it out! When DH is away I might get my mum to help me one night.

Bubbles - the naps don't make a difference. It's the same whether he last woke up at 2, or he last woke up at 4.30. I suppose we could try a later bedtime, but he seems exhausted by 6.30, grizzling, rubbing his eyes, yawning etc.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Sally if he is that tired by 6:30 maybe you would be better off puttingbhim to bed earlier?

What are the general times he wakes sleeps etc?

And no problem hun. I know it's tough
    And like I said, I could not do tough love with dd because she was my first and it was SO hard to ignore the protesting because I didn't know any better. She still has sleep problems to this day and i am convinced it is because i constantly had to hold/rock her to sleep and always ran to her even when protesting.

If it feels like protesting to you, I would leave him be. Try what I did (settle twice then ignore) and see how he goes. If you are comfortable with it.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Turk EnJayDee For This Useful Post:

Sally1981  (02-07-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks Turk. I don't think it's his bedtime. He's had that bedtime for ages with no issue and this has only just started. His general routine is wake up at 7.30, sleep at 9.30 until about 11, sleep at about 1.30 until about 3.00pm, then bed at 6.30. I called Tresillian. They said that if he won't settle within 1/2 an hour I should get him up. I don't know, that sounds like bad advice to be honest.

I might try a bit more CIO, although after he vomited that other time, I'm nervous!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Wow. That seems wildly insane coming from tresillian... if I did that with ds he would have never slept and he and I would have gone insane...

I have no idea what else you can try. I hope it eases up for you soon.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Sally1981 View Post
    Thanks Turk. I don't think it's his bedtime. He's had that bedtime for ages with no issue and this has only just started. His general routine is wake up at 7.30, sleep at 9.30 until about 11, sleep at about 1.30 until about 3.00pm, then bed at 6.30. I called Tresillian. They said that if he won't settle within 1/2 an hour I should get him up. I don't know, that sounds like bad advice to be honest.

I might try a bit more CIO, although after he vomited that other time, I'm nervous!
    It may not be bad advice from Tresillian, it seems to work brilliantly on my 5 month old.

I have noticed that even though he seems exhausted at 6.30ish, if I put him to bed then he will scream the house down! If this happens I get him up again until about 7.30. Quick feed and he falls asleep without even a peep!

It seems strange as I thought being overtired would make it worse but he obviously just needs a little more awake time after his last nap.

Maybe something to try one night?

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ArthurDent For This Useful Post:

Bubbles10  (03-07-2013),Sally1981  (07-07-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I have the same issue with DD - 6 months. No advice really!

13. The Following User Says Thank You to duckduckgoose For This Useful Post:

Sally1981  (07-07-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/1/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 7/11/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 3/10/14100 Posts in a week
    Here's a couple of tips for your consideration:

1. Give up the third (late afternoon) nap
    2. Push bedtime back to 7pm
    3. No stimulation (TV etc) in the hour before bed)
    4. Do not let bub fall asleep in the highchair etc. falling asleep, even for a few minutes totally screws with bubs "nap time readiness." It can re-set bubs clock meaning bub won't be ready for a nap for another couple of hours.
    5. Do not feed bub to sleep. Do not have a bottle too close to cot time. After the feed, have a quick story, cuddle, nigh-nights etc. Feeding bub to sleep (or close to it) can create sleep association issues. During the sleep cycle changeover bub realises the bottle is no longer there and wakes.
    6. Have EXACTLY the same bed time routine each night. One song out of order and bub can become unsettled!

Good luck..

15. The Following User Says Thank You to VicPark For This Useful Post:

Sally1981  (07-07-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks Vicpark. I might try giving his bottle earlier. I thought giving the bottle last would be ok because he settles without the bottle for his naps. I think you've hit on part of the problem though. He sometimes sleeps for 20 minutes at the beginning, and then wakes up screaming. This may be resetting his clock. His routine is identical every night, right down to the book we read (Spot).

Thanks for all the help guys! I'm hoping this resolves itself soon!