+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast
    FearlessLeader is offline Winner 2013 - Most Memorable Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Both my kids have been exclusively BF to 6 months. DS was BF to 12 months, and DD is only 7 months. DS rarely gets sick. He's been in daycare since 15 months and there's been a slight increase in sickness since then.
    DD is sick all the time. She's exposed to many more germy kids than DS was at the same age. And maybe she's just a more sickly person.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by kw123 View Post
    I get this, and I know I'm not "allowed" to draw any conclusions unless its from a peer reviewed study, but I still think that, in reality, there is no difference in sickness rates and FF and BF kids. There is zero way of proving that a kid gets a milder form if an illness because they are BF.

BF babies gets sick as often as FF babies in my experience (and from what people say on here). Considering that so many people seem to think that BFing means your kid worth get sick, and/or it acts like a vaccine, how can you say that the benefits are not overstated? Its clear that they are.

You know I think you're fab and I am not meaning to be argumentative but I think it's very concerning. Especially when you see/hear things like, my baby got whooping cough and I didn't think they could if they were BF (which I have seen on here!).

I agree with Girl X that daycare is the biggest factor in illness!
    No no, I agree for the most part- I think people misunderstand what the benefits are, and how it works, you know? Your WC example is a perfect illustration of this- you and I know bf offers no protection from WC yet people think it does. Why? Because they don't understand how the immunological benefits of bf actually work, so these sorts of assumptions are made, then passed around. Then you have certain groups and websites that perpetuate and expand on these assumptions (the AVN springs to mind) and you end up with lots of people expecting their bf bub to never have so much as a sniffle and being shocked when they do catch an illness. Breastmilk is great stuff, perfect food for babies, all that stuff, but it's not magical, and lots of people seem to think it is. I 100% agree that daycare is the biggest factor- because exposure to illness is the biggest factor in catching illness- which is more likely when we are exposed to more people etc.

(Oh, I think you're fab too )

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Atropos For This Useful Post:

Boobycino  (30-06-2013),kw123  (30-06-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Get a room, you two!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by FearlessLeader View Post
    Get a room, you two!
    Aw, don't be like that FL, you're fab too!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Atropos View Post
    Aw, don't be like that FL, you're fab too!
    I'm just jealous

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to FearlessLeader For This Useful Post:

Atropos  (30-06-2013),kw123  (30-06-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    My DD is 8 weeks and exclusively breastfed. I'm sick at the moment and she has got a very mild version of it. She's been around a lot of sick people but this is the first time shes been sick and I assume it's because I'm sick this time, where previously I've been immune to the bugs of the people she was exposed to.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I think some kids just get sick more than others. DD1 got every sniffle and vomiting bug going around, DD2 has had 2 colds and that is it in her 16m of life. They were both breastfed (dd2 still is), they both started Childcare at 11months - I just think it is the luck if the draw as long as hygiene and diet is good there isn't much else you can do.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Wow that's outrageous! And scary that a medical professional thinks like that!

Thanks
    Reviews
    There would be benefits to breastfeeding of course, but I think there are many other environmental factors that come into play as well. The fact that my child was in childcare would have left her more susceptible regardless of feeding method but she was vaccinated according to schedule which would have helped her and she was also living in a clean environment and attending a high quality childcare centre which all would have been things to consider, not only feeding method.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    All three of my breast fed sons had rsv once each and several bouts of bronchitis each and meanwhile my bottle fed dd never had either.