+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    My DS is now 6, was breastfed nearly 4 years. He has had 4.5 days off school in 6 months....so not really sick all that often.

My DD is now 21 months, was breastfed 15 months, and attends full time daycare. She has had about 9 days off for illness since January, which I think is pretty good all things considered.

bunkx is offline Being happy doesn't mean that everything is perfect. It means that you've decided to look beyond the imperfections
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Neither of my kids get sick often maybe a handful of times each and even then it's not that bad
    One was ff the other was bf

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    DD1 was ff and is 10 now and healthy as a horse. She did get sick as a baby, I remember a bad bout of gastro that ended in a trip to hospy, two cases of impetigo, various colds, fevers etc and as a toddler suspected whooping cough (not confirmed though and yes, vaccinated). Going to childcare meant she got everything going. DD2is bf and is 9 months now and has had one fever.
    I do know ff kids who seem to get sick a lot and bf kids less so, but I also know ff kids that are rarely ill. I don't know any sickly bf kids but that could be because I don't know that many bf kids.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I hope your little one gets better soon. It's so hard when they're sick.

My experience: My first two children didn't get sick while they were being breastfed, but my third (also BF) did get a few colds in her first year. She's now weaned and in daycare, and she gets everything! At daycare, all the babies in the babies room (BF & FF) have been sick a lot this winter.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Both of my bf babies started getting sick around 6-7 months. DS caught a cold around 4 months. DD is 8 months old just recovered from her first cold.The mothers antibodies apparently suppose to protect them for a few months after they are born or something like that.
    When DD was 5 months old everyone in the house (DH, me and my 2 year old boy) have all caught a stomach flu which is highly contagious, DS still kept on kissing DD and I had to bf her and cuddle her as usual and she didn't catch a thing!
    Have you checked with the doctors? They can do some blood test to see if everything is ok.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Twice in 2 1/2 years and she's only ever had antibiotics once (about a month after turning 2).
    No daycare though.

Totally in love with our two beautiful little girls.
    Feb 2011 and May 2013

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I am in the same boat. DS is 8 months now and has been sick with colds, chest infections and ear infections on and off since he was born. Had his first cold at 3 weeks old. We would be lucky to have had two full weeks between each bout.

And he has never had a drop of formula. They say bfing helps boost immunity because they get your antibodies. If that's the case I would hate to see DS if he was ff.

Thanks
    Reviews
    My bf baby was never sick once until I started her on formula. 7 months.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    DS2 has been BFd since birth, exclusively for the first 6 months, still 3-4 times a day at almost 12 months. He doesn't go to daycare. He's sick all the time. At least once every 3-4 weeks he has a cold or a fever or something.

DS1 was BFd for 5 months. He went to daycare from 6-15 months. He used to get colds and ear infections all the time. He had 6 ear infections in his first 18months. He rarely gets sick now since he's been out of daycare. In fact, he hasn't even had a cold since 18 months (he's 3).

Thanks
    Reviews
    Yep mine was the same, but she was in daycare so I figured it was from that. There seemed to be no difference between when she was breastfed and when she switched to formula. She had both for a while before I decided to switch completely over when she wasn't having the random feeds anymore or waking through the night for a feed. Not sure if it helps, but she seemed to have outgrown it by the time she moved to the toddler room.