+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default How often is your bf child sick?

Bit of a vent really. DD is only 11 weeks old and constantly and I mean constantly sick. She is always coughing, runny nose and miserable. Has already had conjunctivitis and diarrhoea. We get over one hurdle and she's sick again.

i though bf babies rarely get sick. I'm hoping she outgrows it. Is your bf baby always sick too or reasonably healthy. What about ff mamas?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Is your DD in day care or any siblings in day care? If so, it's pretty normal unfortunately. If not, perhaps talk to your maternal health nurse. My BF bub was pretty healthy up until daycare.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    My FF baby was by sick a day in his life until he was 9 months and started daycare.

BF babies get as sick as often as FF babies, based on my real life personal experiences and from what I have read on here.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Nope she's with me at home most of the time except the usual outings to the shops or mums group.

my bub is the only sick one I know of. All my mummy friends bubs are so healthy. I just assumed she would be well given she should have boosted immunity through ebf.

Thanks
    Reviews
    My 2.5 year old breast fed DD has pretty much never bed sick apart from a runny nose a few times. I hope it gets easier for your LO soon. It is so hard seeing a little baby unwell

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Jasper was sick heaps from about 4 months to 14 months, constant colds, high temps (I've since realised he doesn't do a "mild" temp, if he gets a temp it's 39+) including chicken pox and a pretty epic round of gastro.

He's 4.5 and rarely sick since.

Katelyn seems to catch every sniffle, but doesn't really get "sick", even when she had gastro (it was making the rounds at jaspers preschool so we brought it home) she vomited a couple of times but was totally happy and fine.

Though I definitely notice a difference in terms of if I catch something first. If I get sick, my Breast fed baby doesn't get sick OR they only get it very very mildly.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using The Bub Hub mobile app

Thanks
    Reviews
    Four kids.
    1st bottle feed, never gets sick. Teenager now and never in her whole life gets sick. Lucky thing.
    2nd breast fed constantly sick his whole life.
    3rd breast fed rarely got sick under four yrs. 4-5yrs frequently sick?
    4thbreastfed constantly gets sick.

Thanks
    Reviews
    My now 2.5 yr old was bf for 14 months and got lots if colds, getting a little less now. But I hadn't thought if it until reading some pp's but he's only ever had one tummy bug and it wasn't bad.

My 7 month old (still breastfeeding) got bronchiolitis at 5 weeks and can't completely shake the cough. He gets sniffly every couple if weeks.

Just anecdotally, a friend formula fed her son from day 1 and her 3 year old has only got a cold twice!

headoverfeet is offline The truth will set you free, but first it will **** you off. -Gloria Steinem
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    None of my kids really got sick while breastfeeding. DD has been sick twice in 2 years, a cough and gastro recently but she has never needed to see a doctor.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Both kids BF and rarely sick. No daycare though.