+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Subbing. I need to move in 3 weeks and have 2 toddlers in tow! We are hiring a removalist. Feeling a sense if dread just thinking about it. For those who hired a removalist, how much earlier did you start packing everything up? Where did you put all the boxes? Did the removalist work out the order of things ie which furniture goes first etc. also did you need to empty your fridge ! Sorry for hijacking the thread. Any help welcome

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Subbing too

Thanks
    Reviews
    I've done a few interstate moves now, always with a removalist, and with kids in tow.. Here's what I do..

As far in advance as you can, pack all your ornaments, picture frames, trinkets and things. Then books, DVDs and winter / summer clothes (whichever you aren't wearing). Try to use boxes that are all the exact same size, then they will stack neatly and safely against a wall.

Then linen closet, leave one towel per person, a few face washers and a bath mat and 2 hand towels. 3 tea towels. Pack the rest.

Toys, I donate any soft toy that hasn't been named. Once dd names it, she'll remember it and it is an absolute disaster if you have to try to replace something. I then throw away anything broken and pack all but a few favourites.

Kitchen, last time I bought plastic bowls, plates, cutlery and cups and packed the entire thing, leaving out a couple of chipped coffee mugs I wasn't planning on taking anyway and a frypan , oven tray and spatula.

Bathroom, pack it all, and just throw away your soap shampoo etc when you move.

Day before you move, wash all your sheets and towels. Then on the day of move, wake up, strip beds and place all that practically clean linen into something (I like those big stripy bags, $2.99 from the discount stores) that is easily recognisable, ready to make beds when you get to your house. Put your pyjamas in this bag too.

I don't bother showering on moving day, just shower after moving is finished so I don't have to figure out how to pack wet towels.

The night before moving day, I try put the kids to bed early, then pack all the toys and clothes that we'd left out, just leaving out a clean outfit each to put on.

Oh, a few years ago, we did a couple of local moves, within walking distance of our house, every day I would pack a box and walk it over there. This saves a lot of small stuff on moving day.

Last time we moved, about a month ago we went 3,500 kms, I packed the entire house in under a week, by myself, with a one year old and a three year old, as my husband was already in our new home state doing mine site inductions.

Hope some of that us helpful. One last thing, if you know you are moving, declutter and pack at least one box a day. Or one room a day if you are on a tight schedule.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to preggasaurus For This Useful Post:

Jontu  (06-08-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Ohh, forgot, explain to your kids exactly what is happening at age appropriate levels.

This makes it so much smoother. I find reassuring dd1 that all of her things will be there, her toys, bed , books etc, really helps. I also tell her about moving for daddy's work. I do not like making a big deal of saying goodbye to friends, or making her feel that she will miss ballet or playgroup or whatever, I just focus on our moving adventure, the plane, exploring a new house and town, positive spin on everything is my tip.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to preggasaurus For This Useful Post:

Jontu  (06-08-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    i just want to give you a small tip for moving the house. Whenever you start to move the house first shift the kitchen ascceories and then cloth and other things and also make sure before shifting water system is working fine or not?? I had a bad experience that's why telling you that tip.