+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Where do you start when packing to move house?

We weren't planning on moving until next year but an excellent place has just fallen into our laps and we are now moving in two weeks. Starting the lease next weekend and have to be completely out of our current place the weekend after 😳

I have moved MANY times but only once with DP and never with a baby! DD is just about 11 months. I guess it's just because it's come up so suddenly but I'm feeling a bit overwhelmed!

So what are your tips for moving with a little one? DP has a van so we will be doing all the moving ourselves and can slowly do it over the course of a week.

rainbow road is offline look at the stars, look how they shine for you
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Do your kitchen first. Pack everything except the main things you'll need (some plates, cutlery, a saucepan/frypan and A's stuff) and take it over so you can set up the kitchen first.

Same with As room - do everything except the cot so all you need to set up for her on the first day is that cot, and it'll still be familiar to her.

Linen and bathroom stuff too- I had my whole kitchen and bathroom ready to go the night we moved in (except for the bare minimum. I had also made soup and some freezer meals so I didn't have to cook the week before).

Pack up books, DVDs etc now and just take them over as you go so on moving day it's only really furniture.

Same with clothes. Space bag them! And light but bulky items like fans, ironing boards etc.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to rainbow road For This Useful Post:

GreenMama  (29-06-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I tend to start with living areas, packing the lady used things like books first followed by things that we can live without like dvds and games. As pp said, take a few boxes every time you go to the new place and put them in appropriate rooms. The less moving you have to do on moving day the better.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using The Bub Hub mobile app

5. The Following User Says Thank You to ARCTICJULZ For This Useful Post:

GreenMama  (29-06-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Exactly what RR said. I would do kitchen first (purely because it is THE hardest room with all those awkward BULKY things IMO)

When I moved in november last year, I had 8 month old ds and 28 month old dd.

All non essentials went over while dp was at work (he's fifo) so things like towels that would not be used that week, linen, clothes (I only kept essentials there for the week) then you can put it all in robes (if you have them) and not worry about it later.

Bsthroom stuff. Again non essentials. So keep body wash shampoo and toothbrush etc. Also take one or two rolls of TP to the new place. I got caught out a few times before I clicked onto this one. Lol

Most of dd's toys. Keep something to entertain her but move everything else.

Basically anything that I could put in a box or carry by myself.

Good luck. It is hard sometimes but if it's a great place it will be worth it.

** sent from outer space **

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Turk EnJayDee For This Useful Post:

GreenMama  (29-06-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Great tips. I moved when DS was 2 months old and packed in a haze of sleep deprivation.
    My "on arrival to new place" tip is make up beds first. Nothing worse than being worn out and realising you've got nowhere to sleep

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Mmumm For This Useful Post:

GreenMama  (29-06-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I moved with an 11 month as well, but only a suburb over so it was an easy move. I took out a suitcase and packed in it the clothing I thought she'd need for the next 2 weeks and the rest went to the new house, I did the same for myself. I also put some toys into a little box and that's all she had to play with until we moved and the rest went to the new house. With the kitchen, I kept the microwave, kettle, toaster, slow cooker and electric frying pan and one baking tray then the rest went to the new house so that when we did move over there, there wasn't much to move and the house was pretty much set up. I moved the lounge furniture first and we only really had my bed and my daughter's cot and the dining table in the way of actual furniture that needed moving. This time it was a rush move and I paid a removalist. It's amazing how little we can survive on for a couple of weeks! Although now I'd NEED the computer whereas at that time I didn't rely on it so much.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Secret of Cleo For This Useful Post:

GreenMama  (29-06-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks everyone! Great tips. I think it'll be quite good as DP can drop DD and I off in the morning with a roomful of things and I can spend the day there unpacking. Can't wait!

FearlessLeader is offline Winner 2013 - Most Memorable Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    My tip is don't get food poisoning and be completely useless and without a bed to lie in for the day of the move.
    More helpfully, DS was the age your DD is now when we moved. My big tip for getting her to settle in is limit visitors as much as possible in the beginning. Especially around bedtime- DS got very anxious and we figured out it was because he wasn't sure who was living in the new house.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to FearlessLeader For This Useful Post:

GreenMama  (29-06-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks FL that's an awesome tip. To be honest that is what I'm most worried about - after all the sleep dramas DD is finally sleeping well (for her) and I'm desperately hoping the move won't screw things up too badly.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by FearlessLeader View Post
    My tip is don't get food poisoning and be completely useless and without a bed to lie in for the day of the move.
    More helpfully, DS was the age your DD is now when we moved. My big tip for getting her to settle in is limit visitors as much as possible in the beginning. Especially around bedtime- DS got very anxious and we figured out it was because he wasn't sure who was living in the new house.
    Never would have even thought of that! We had people help us move and set up furniture, but they were gone again pretty quickly after setting up.