+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 15 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by VicPark View Post
    Did you share a hospital room when you had bub? Any horror stories? Or did you meet your BFF in the next bed?

I'm considering going public with nr 2. Where I live the public system is good. And private health insurance is a rip off. The only thing I'm hesitating over is sharing a room. Especially a bathroom (especially with women who will likely be bleeding for the next month!).

Tell me your stories!
    so I had an EMC at the Maters Mothers in Brissie so got my own room. I freaking loved it. I got peace and quiet. I could walk to the bathroom in whatever state I was in. It was great.

My friend however had a twin room. She was on the window side of the room which meant she had to walk past her bogan roommate and their family and friends to go to the loo. They were loud, they kept popping on to her side to fill up her bin when all their cr@p had filled the roommates bin. It was awful.

I am in NZ this time and I told my hubby straight up I was paying the $400/night to get a private room with double bed in the birthcare (where you go to recuperate) rather than the free sharing one. Then I found out my work's health insurance pays for it so am STOKED.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I hadn't son in a public hospital, I got my own room with an ensuite and a double bed for DH to stay and stayed for 6 nights for a straight forward vaginal birth! Alice springs hospital rocks

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I went public but the hospital I chose has single rooms with a bathroom that is shared with one other room.

Sharing the bathroom was fine. I probably bumped into the cleaner more times than the other lady in my three day stay.

I dont think I would have liked sharing a room as I had enough trouble sleeping (in the very small number of hours ds slept - mostly when the midwives took him for me) in my own room because of babies crying in other rooms. But then again I am a very light sleeper.

That being said if I only had the option of a hospital with shared rooms when public or paying the thousands of dollars to go private to get my own room I would still choose public.

To me that $7k was several months off work and then limited hours upon returning (and I actually do have phi - a waste of money most of the time in my case).

Sent from my GT-I9100 using The Bub Hub mobile app

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Reading these responses, I reckon it depends what state/area you are in?!

At my local public hospital, each room had a toilet and shower. There was a toilet in the same room as the shower and a separate toilet so you could go if someone was in the shower.

Also, they were very strict with visiting hours. 10-1 is husbands and children only, 3-8 for everyone else. If someone besides your husband visited between 10&1, you had to go and sit outside the ward in the visitors room. At 8pm, if people didn't leave, they would come around and tell you to go to the visitors room.

The only exception was when my husband was there when I was leaving hospital and waiting for doctor to clear me.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to BigRedV For This Useful Post:

VicPark  (29-06-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/1/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 7/11/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 3/10/14100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by inertia View Post
    The poor woman next to me though, her baby was so unsettled it literally cried all night. My sleep was so broken from her and her baby I could hardly function. At one point in the middle of the night she asked a midwife to take the baby because she was loosing it and the midwife said she was too busy and asked if she could call someone to come in, like her husband or mother. She then cried to the midwife that her husband was at home with their toddler and her mum was a shift worker but the nurse didn't care and left her to it. I had to listen to her and her baby cry for ages. I felt so terrible for her, I almost offered to try and comfort her baby but I wasn't sure what kind of reaction I'd get and I was pretty tired myself. After 2 nights I was more than ready to come home!
    That poor woman! If the hospital doesn't have enough staff so that a midwife can take care of a baby from a new mum who says she losing it... Then that's disgraceful!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    So VP are you going to tell us if you're UTD?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    With DD I went private. She was born late afternoon and there were no private rooms left so I shared for the first night. I don't really remember it so it must have been fine. I was moved to a private room once one was available in the morning.

With DS I went public. Sharing was okay the first night but second night there was a woman brought in after an emergency Caesarian - she arrived about midnight in alot of pain. Consequently not alot of sleep that night for either if us due to constant monitoring. I was glad to go home the next day.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    I hated the 4 bed room when I had DS1. One ladys husband had no sense of personal bubble space, and walked around the entire room, talking on his phone, plus the endless ****** of invading rellies, Im talking an entire extended family in the room at once, constantly distupting us other three by asking us to borrow the chairs, water, blah blah blah. In the end I was so tired I buzzed the nurse to tell them to go to the common room.

Then one night I was told to shut my baby up by another mother in the room, I discharged myself that morning asap.

DS2 was a birth centre birth and I was home sweet home in 4 hours.. Bliss!!!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Shared them demanded a single room. The lady beside just let her baby cry and cry . Never picked him up nothing. Was so sad I then got a private room next to a storage room so bang went the door all day long . Worst 4 days of my life .

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/1/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 7/11/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 3/10/14100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by Mahjong View Post

Then one night I was told to shut my baby up by another mother in the room, I discharged myself that morning asap.
    Did you think the mum was stressed or a biatch? What was your response?

12. The Following User Says Thank You to VicPark For This Useful Post:

Blossompossumxxxx  (29-06-2013)