+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 14 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I went public and had a private room thankfully!
    Almost all of the rooms are private in the maternity ward at my local hospital.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    I went private but first night they put 2 of us in a share room as we both had c sections and said the appropriate single rooms would be available for us both to move into the next day, no probs and the woman in with me was lovely and I totally understand why she was upset but she pretty much cried the entire time we were in the room - totally understandable- as she had lost her first baby to SIDS and was telling me all about it and what happened and how they found him etc and was praying it didn't happen to this baby - and don't get me wrong normally I would be 1000% percent fine and be overly supportive but as a brand new mum it totally freaked me out and i just wanted to get out of that room plus her story made me so scared and paranoid I would not sleep unless DH or mum were in the room watching DS , probably for the first 12 weeks of his life , I new I was being silly but every time I closed my eyes I thought of her

Thanks
    Reviews
    Last edited by xyz987; 09-07-2013 at 22:30.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I went public but because I was a c section I only shared with 1 other lady (there were a lot of 4 share rooms :l)

No horror stories! Roomy was a lovely lady, I was relieved to have someone friendly to share with or else the nights would have been bloody lonely! We talked a lot then went our separate ways upon discharge.

Although.. now that I think... She was a f*cking horrible snorer and between her and the babies crying I was a freaking zombie.
    Sent from my HTC One X using The Bub Hub mobile app

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by kw123 View Post
    Same! Royal Women's in Melbourne. Way nicer than Francis Perry next door and St Vincent's (at least the rooms I saw my friends in)
    I went through the Mercy's birthing centre. My original choice was the Royal Women's though, but when I rang up the booking lady I spoke to was so mean I ended up switching. Wouldn't have minded the Hyatt through Francis Perry if I had PHI though

Thanks
    Reviews
    Did I miss the 'VP is UTD' thread?? Congrats

I went private both times so can't comment on sharing personally - although friend have horror stories.

Where are you based VP? Because in Melb there are several public hospitals that have single rooms now, I know one that offers all single rooms for maternity which my sister is using this year.

Also...you can actually find a GP who is willing to manage your pregnancy and then just book you as a private patient for the hospital stay. So you don't *have* to pay the ridiculous management fee. A bit of stuffing around but worth it if you want to go private.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I shared with both boys. Public hospital.

Both times it was a 4 bed room. I just got really lucky. All the woman were nice.

The worst thing was a mean middy with ds1. When I had ds2 3 years later though she remembered df and I and was nice as pie. Even plumped my pillows!

Sent from my GT-I9100T using The Bub Hub mobile app

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by RandR View Post
    I went through the Mercy's birthing centre. My original choice was the Royal Women's though, but when I rang up the booking lady I spoke to was so mean I ended up switching. Wouldn't have minded the Hyatt through Francis Perry if I had PHI though
    My sister and I both used the Hyatt via Frances Perry this year - amazeballs.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I went public but through a birthcentre and we got our own room for the night. We were only there about 9hr after the birth and really that was about 2hrs longer than necessary (just had to wait for Paed to give all clear to go home). Unless you've had a difficult delivery you can always just go home (probably more comfortable, you've got your own bathroom and can get your boobs out in private!) I wouldn't base going public v's private solely on whether you have to share a room. We had midwives on call and to do home visits for the first 2 weeks post natal and this was vital as we had feeding problems at 10 days. This sort of service isn't available privately (or if it is it probably costs a fortune) that I know of. Private Obs in general have higher rates of interventions so going public may decrease the chances of needing to stay in hospital for more than a night anyway. Maybe look into midwifery public care as usually they do home visits after the birth so you can be discharged early (assuming no complications) but still get help with feeding and caring for a newborn but in your own home.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I had a private room with DS1 at a private hospital. It was good, food was good and it was nice having DH stay. I went public with DS2. I had my own room for the first night, shared in a 2 bed ward nights 2-4. My roommate was a whinger but aside from that, it was no different. I was right next to the toilet and bathroom though which was handy. I had c-section both times so the bathroom close by was important.

TBH I'd choose my public experience again over private once costs are taken into account. The food was better, the midwives were better and despite the whinging roomie, I had a better experience overall.