+ Reply to Thread
Page 12 of 15 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    I had my son at a public hospital that only had single rooms (bathroom was ensuite, shared with the joining room). They were more than happy for husbands to stay over too. It was an excellent place to birth and stay at.

I had 2 nights there before my son was born (induction - gel first night and next morning, waters broken in afternoon and wasn't until the next day that syntocin was used as contractions didn't kick in enough to do much). It was hard to sleep with hearing babies in nearby rooms crying and women making birthing noises.

After my son arrived, I didn't notice those noises so much, as I was too busy sleeping.

Unfortunately can't birth my twins at that hospital, so bit more pot luck whether I get a single or shared room. Apparently the hospital I'll be at has a priority for single rooms for c-sections, multiples and sick mums. They also bend the rules to allow husbands/partners to stay over if you have multiples (apparently they stopped doing this as a general rule, due to too many aggressive partners causing problems with staff, sad).

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I'm going private Im a light sleeper as it is, I think sharing a room with 3 other women and newborns would drive me insane yes it is expensive and have had to cut out a lot to pay the management fee plus save for hospital costs but it's my first and I think it is worth it.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    I had a public birth in a shared room (4 beds) with my first, home birth with my second. If I didn't have a home birth, I would have gone private so I could have my own room.

I loathed sharing a room. Not because the other women were problematic, but it just lacked privacy. Curtains around the bed, partner couldn't stay, not enough room, people coming and going.

Not a calming environment at all.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to MsMummy For This Useful Post:

Mahjong  (02-07-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I went public and was pretty lucky. The first night the ward was full so DH and I got put up in the birth centre of the hospital so we had a private room to ourselves. I loved that DH got to stay and share our first night together with bub.

The next night I had to go to the ward. It was a two bed room but I had no neighbour so again had the room to myself. It was great!

In the morning of my discharge day is when someone else came in but we didn't speak. She just got out of a c-section and bub and I were busy with doctors, midwives etc!

Thanks
    Reviews
    1st baby borm at Gladstone Hospital in 1997, was a 4 bedder but the other beds were empty.

2nd baby was at Caboolture Hospital in 2002, private room after a cs, but hit and miss, some middies were nasty and slow response to buzzer.

3rd baby was at Royal Brisbane in 2004, after a cs and bad bleed needing blood transfusions I was put in a room of 4. 1 mum with a million noisy visitors, another who was on bedrest...and most crazily a mother who had lost her baby, i felt terrible for the poor woman having to be in a room with new borns.

Recently I went to visit a friend at the Royal Brisbane and she was in a double room,but the other woman hadn't given birth yet and kept ducking out for a ciggie and was coughing her lungs up every few minutes.

Made we decide that this baby we will go private, which I could not have afforded with the other 3. Having it at the Wesley, I am glad hubby can stay over night. Nothing worse than the forst night after a cs not having any help.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to letiha For This Useful Post:

VicPark  (20-07-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I was very lucky...went public for both bubs....1st bub was emergency C-section and ended up with my own room, stayed 3nights...and 2nd bub was planned/booked C-section, public again, had my own room....stayed 3 days and 2 nights.....I liked having my own room, hoping the 3rd time roud we're as lucky!

Thanks
    Reviews
    1st I shared a room with one other lady. It was ok but I wasn't near the window and the curtain was always closed which felt a bit clostrabhobic, seeing as it was a c-sec and I was in for 7 days. I was a new mum for the first time too and bub cried heaps all night, the lady came and helped me one of the nights as I had a melt down.

2nd it was a 2 bedder but I got the room to myself the whole 6 days as it was really quiet in the ward the whole time.

3rd it was a 2 bedder and I shared with a few different people each night. I was in for 6 days and a few different women came and went.

Sent from my GT-I9305T using The Bub Hub mobile app

Thanks
    Reviews
    I had to go public. I was in hospital for over a week. First night while I was being monitored I was in a room with a newborn- I did plead with them to let me go home to rest as I had zero hours sleep & it was the reality of what was about to happen!!!! The first night after birth I had a fourth time mum who was so nice as I was kindve left on my own. Then I had a young girl with 5 kids who visited and opened the curtain all the time, used the bathroom-nightmare! Plus i never heard her baby cry! Then I had a lady who I never spoke with, her baby was in the NICU and my heart broke listening to them explain why as I don't think she fully understood what was wrong. So... I think it depends on the lady you share with but I feel from my experience I would've settled quicker if I was on my own. Also I had the window and closest to bathroom if I wasn't I would've felt very claustrophobic.

Sent from my iPhone using Bub Hub app

Thanks
    Reviews
    I went public with dd but luckily in a public hospital with single rooms only! I had to share a bathroom with one other person in the adjoining room. This was fine except I was in for a while (pre eclampsia) so I had a few different people in the next room. When I eventually had dd my 'neighbour' was a young girl who would lock herself in our bathroom for hours while her baby cried in the room. I had to constantly get the midwives to ask her to get out. Also she would leave used pads and dirty undies all over the floor! I felt sorry for her situation but grossed out and frustrated all at the same time. Next time I will go private but only for the complications I had with dd.

Zombie_eyes is offline Formerly Diamondeyes
    Winner 2012 - Biggest Computer Nerd
    Winner 2013/14 - Funniest Member
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    I went public and kept getting women who snored like freight trains or one totally clueless mother who didnt feed her baby all night and just kept shh shh shhing the baby who was screaming the entire time. Eugh. And the nurse would come in and ask her if everyone was ok or if she needed help and the dingbat would say "no everything is fine"

Braiiiiins
    *60kilos lost*