+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Absolutely gutted...

So it's been about 3 months since DS weaned himself off the breast (he's now 8 months). We had been mixed feeding pretty much since birth, minus a few weeks because I had a poor supply and nothing I did boosted it.

I spent about $400 seeing a private LC (4 sessions) to try get DS to latch right as I always had pinched nipples and help with boosting supply. Well, what a waste that was!!!!

He has just been diagnosed with a upper lip and tongue tie. Everyone kept telling me I had a bad supply and no one thought to check his mouth... Not even the LC who was charging me $100 an hour. I feel so gutted, upset, disappointed, amongst other things... Something that easily could've fixed was missed for this long.

I don't even know how to feel

Thanks
    Reviews

You did everything you could. Don't blame yourself, because really - how were you to know? Most important thing is a happy and healthy (and fed! Doesn't matter how) baby.

I would be angry at the waste of money, too. But at least you won't have the thoughts of 'if only I had reached out for help someone would have picked it up', as you did and it still didn't work. You tried your best

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Barnaby For This Useful Post:

callmedragon22  (29-06-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Massive hugs. That would be devastating

5. The Following User Says Thank You to SageS For This Useful Post:

headoverfeet is offline The truth will set you free, but first it will **** you off. -Gloria Steinem
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Oh you poor thing it's so hard when those we trust to help us fail to do their jobs or let us down. I can understand you are probably grieving all over again but please try to be gentle on yourself and if you have the strength give that LC a call to tell them what they have missed, for the other babies they will see xo

7. The Following User Says Thank You to headoverfeet For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    You have nothing to feel guilty for, you personally went above and beyond to try and help your situation. Well done.

Personally I'd be furious at the LC though. Both my boys have been tongue-tie, it's surprisingly common these days. An experienced LC should have checked for this, especially with pinched nipples. I'm very sorry you were let down.

Your LO still got the crucial colostrum and breast milk for 5mths, be proud of that. I'm sure he's still thriving on formula now too and that's all that matters

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Pesca77 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    You did nothing wrong. In fact you did everything right and should be proud of yourself for getting as far as you did.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to amyd For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    Oh hun I am sorry you are feeling that way. You did everything you could to help him. The lc has failed you both.

Not that it is about the money but I would contact the lc and tell them what they missed and ask for a refund.

You managed to make it to 5 months which is an awesome achievement. And as others have said as long as you have a happy healthy boy now, that is all that matters, not where he gets his milk from.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Donnab739 For This Useful Post:

callmedragon22  (01-07-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    You did a brilliant job to have persevered for so long. With my first DD, she had a tongue tie, could not latch at all. I picked up on it, the MW's at hospital didn't believe me, DD ended up jaundiced and too lethargic to feed. I put her straight on to formula. I had no knowledge when it came to expressing, even when the LC in the hospital told me I was right about the tongue tie (her father was born with the same so MIL warned me about them) they didn't suggest correcting it- in fact she was over a year old by the time it was done (at our insistence as her speech was in danger of being affected).
    Sometime the professional really let us down. I've feel guilty about not bf'ing DD1 for years (she is 10 now) even though at the time I did not have the education or support to do anything else, so I do understand the guilt, however irrational
    Be kind to yourself. Any BM at all is a benefit to a growing bub and you stuck it out for so long! FWIW my ff DD1 is a healthy, tall, strong, clever kid- so don't beat yourself up. I'm all for breastfeeding but formula isnt the demon it's made out to be either.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Atropos For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    And I agree with PP's- let the LC know how she failed you- it was very remiss of her to not even check for this.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to Atropos For This Useful Post:

MilkingMaid is offline Winner 2009 - Mod Award - most supportive member
    Question those who don't question authority
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    8 months is still quite young, relactation is not unknown of, and bub will still have a sucking reflex, you could try to get him back onto the breast...

http://www.lact-aid.com/relactation-...imely-weaning/

http://www.alisaikeda.com/Clients_Cl...lactation.html
    Last edited by MilkingMaid; 29-06-2013 at 09:42.

19. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to MilkingMaid For This Useful Post:

Atropos  (29-06-2013),Bambibambino  (02-07-2013),callmedragon22  (01-07-2013)