Getting rid of the bottle | Bub Hub
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Default Getting rid of the bottle

DS (12 months) has two bottles a day, one when he wakes and one before bed.

I know I need to get him using a cup for milk soon, and he already does for water. But how? He seriously loves them!

I will stop the morning one first. Do I just give him cows milk in his straw cup and expect him to just deal with it?? When he drinks water from it he spills loads down his front which is not ideal with milk.

Should I just give him brekkie right away? He usually has about 45 mins between bottle and brekkie.

It just seems so mean!

2. The Following User Says Thank You to kw123 For This Useful Post:

JustJaq  (29-07-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Huh? Why do you "need" to?

My DS2 is 16 months and still has a bottle for sleeptime?

4. The Following User Says Thank You to salamat For This Useful Post:

MsViking  (04-07-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I don't think you "need" to get rid of the bottles......he is still only young and he will probably get bored of bottles soon and then you will know he is ready to get rid of them. He obviously still really loves them and I don't think there is a massive rush to get rid of them.......it's not like he is 4 and still having bottles.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    It's actually recommended to ditch bottles after 1yo. I have no tips though OP, though personally I would think just having 1-2 bottles a day for another few months while you gradually wean him off would be ok.

Busy-Bee is offline Offending people since before Del :D
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Past Moderator - Thank you
    Don't feel pressured into making your baby give up the bottle before they are ready. I let my DS self wean, he was 3.5. For the last year or so of that he only had a bottle when he woke in the morning because he was such a cranky little poo and it was like his coffee. After his bottle he was my usual happy little baby.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Busy-Bee For This Useful Post:

Albert01  (28-06-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    My DD is 17mths and loves (is in love) with her bottle. She has them when she wakes, a small one at 10:30 and another before bed.... She is very attached!!

I'm going to start giving her milk at 10:30 in a sippy cup like her water....

I've been thinking the same as you from the time she turned one, but the past six months have seemed to fly past and I haven't achieved weaning

10. The Following User Says Thank You to MrsSS For This Useful Post:

siennasyummymummyxxx  (28-06-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    I got rid of the bottle but swapped it for a sports sipper - and just kept reducing the amount of formula every day until about 16 months he was literally down to 20mls at night as it was more habit than hunger! I then just started filling it with water instead of formula ( he never had cows milk)

As pp said 12 months is a guide and some babies need longer , it's basically because the bottle is meant to be bad for their teeth , cows milk is not a substitute for formula , its just a drink so don't stress about that, plenty of other calcium sources available and if you think he is not getting all his nutrition from solids keep him on formula a little longer, it won't hurt!

Thanks
    Reviews
    I stopped giving my son (14m) a morning bottle last month. Now he gets it in a straw cup, with breakfast. If I'm concerned he has t has enough, il give him another milk drink with morning tea. He had the same problem as your son op, letting it dribble down his front. It has gotten much better lately. Also I use a plastic bib with a "catchment" at the front to get the runoff.

I will try a sippy cup at bedtime next month. Not sure how that one will go as he usually feeds to sleep.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 14/11/14100 Posts in a week
    Dd2 is almost 18 months and still has a bottle. She week only drink milk from a bottle and water from a cup/sippy cup. She is starting to self wean off the bottle and is almost off her night bottle altogether now. She mostly had hers at sleep times. Her dummy in the other hand, is going nowhere according to her.

Sent from my magical black talky thingy using bubhub

14. The Following User Says Thank You to DesperatelySeekingSleep For This Useful Post:

MsViking  (04-07-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I am just trying to follow advice I have been given.... He also gets ear infections and apparently drinking from a bottle can aggregate this (not cause it). And the GP and paed told me its bad for his teeth.

Nutritionally I am not concerned as he eats well and I give him vitamins.

I guess I will try a cup and see if it works, and if not will try again a bit later on!

He only drinks milk at room temp. Can I just zap cows milk from the fridge in his cup for a little bit? Worried it will melt it!

His dummy isn't going anywhere for ages either!!