+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default 6 week old day sleeps!

So, I would just like some guidance and information! My 6 week old sleeps relatively well during the night, the first lot of sleeps is usually the hardest to get him down for where I will usually feed, shower then feed again to sleep with little or no stimulation. He will then sleep in blocks of 3 hours or so until 11:30am. - which I am in no way complaining about because he goes down easily for each sleep! Daytime is a bit of a different story, we have been trying the 1-1.5 hour feed/play/sleep cycle, we are watching for the tired signs and wrap him up and put him down straight away. He's fine for about 10 mins until he screams bloody murder. We have tried leaving him for 5 mins (not a good time, I'm not into letting him cry) we tried patting and shushing, rocking, feeding again. Until a few hours pass and there has not been too much sleep happening at all. What should I do? Should I begin a different routine that starts earlier in the day or should just go with it? Thanks for any response at all, I'd like to know if I can do anything to get him to sleep during the day!

MilkingMaid is offline Winner 2009 - Mod Award - most supportive member
    Question those who don't question authority
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Have you tried a baby carrier at all? My kids slept well in them during the day when they were very young. A really good book about gently settling babies is "Happiest baby on the block" if you haven't read that one. It's a really quick read, with lots of useful techniques.

All the best.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    How many hours is he sleeping overnight? You said he doesn't get up till 1130. Maybe he is doing must of his sleeping at night and doesn't need to sleep during the day.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Usually 3 hour blocks from around 9 until 1130ish? But what about the whole only being awake for 1.5 hours?

MilkingMaid is offline Winner 2009 - Mod Award - most supportive member
    Question those who don't question authority
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    All babies are different, some just do need less sleep than others. If bub is generally happy, don't worry about it too much.

Thanks
    Reviews
    My baby was always up for more than 1/1.5 hours! It sounds like your baby is getting enough sleep. And of course the sleep he is getting in the morning until 11.30am does count as day sleeping!

I personally think that people expect their babies to sleep way too much when they are little. Of course some do (and it would be nice!) but in my experience most don't.

I got a max of 1.5-2 hours between 7-7 when DS was born until he was about 9 months. And it was always hard work. He just was not a sleepy baby. He sleeps much easier and for longer now he is mobile.

He always slept pretty well at night, although still never longer than 6am-ish.

I know how exhausting it can be. I have always been jealous of mums who have babies that sleep for 2-3 hour stints and have that time to themselves.

Thanks
    Reviews
    They'd good to know! One size does not fit all with babies..