+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Bulbasaur is offline Life is to short to live without icecream
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Head lice

We have just had our first ever lot of head lice, it was only found in my dd hair but I got stuff from the chemist but before I did I had 3 dif people tell me to use dog shampoo... Thoughts?

jbish is offline “Today you are You, that is truer than true. There is no one alive who is Youer than You.” Dr Seuss
    Thanks
    Reviews
    I wouldn't use dog shampoo, personally I wouldn't even use the stuff from the chemist, I find tea tree oil and lots of combing with a lot of conditioner does the trick for us. I would imagine using something that is designed for animals on a child would be dangerous.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to jbish For This Useful Post:

MilkingMaid  (27-06-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I wouldn't use dog shampoo either. yuck. I have heard that slathering hair with conditioner and leaving it on and wrapped up (in gladwrap?? not sure) for 30 mins will suffocate the nits.. and you just comb them out.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Minchi View Post
    I have heard that slathering hair with conditioner and leaving it on and wrapped up (in gladwrap?? not sure) for 30 mins will suffocate the nits.. and you just comb them out.
    This is what I do for DD, we even keep a supply of cheap conditioner on hand.

I have tried so many different brands from the chemist and find this works just as well. Every second day for a week and they're gone, plus, her hair is silky soft from all the conditioner

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    wouldn't use dog shampoo. I used Quit Nits, it comes with the lice comb as well. Make sure to do a follow up treatment 7 days later. I now use a spray bottle made up with water, conditioner, tea tree oil, lavendar oil and I also use a bit of hairspray in dd's hair every day and they haven't come back.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I'd steer clear of animal products!

Invest in a good METAL nit comb - do the conditioner thing.
    We had the kids scratching over the weekend (blergh - am sure there are parents at school that do not give a fruck what lives I their children's hair )
    I personally give EVERYONE'S hair (mine included) a wash with the Pyrenel foam - bought from Woolies, it sits for 10minutes, then slather with conditioner, leave to sit, then comb, comb, comb.
    does the trick.

Bulbasaur is offline Life is to short to live without icecream
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Never heard of the conditioner. Ill check hair again tomorrow and ever day after that and if they come back ill try that! Thanks guys! I thought to dog shampoo was weird to... It's dog shampoo for a reason. There skin and fur is completely dif to our skin and our hair

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Don't use dog shampoo or dog flea products (frontline etc) as they are not safe for humans. Conditioner and comb, then heat. Hair dryer and then straightener- heat kills any remaining eggs and lice

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Atropos For This Useful Post:

Bulbasaur  (29-06-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Coconut shampoo I hear is good, it might be more of a preventative but my mum always did the conditioner trick and the comb, just make sure you wipe it on some toilet paper or something so your not just spreading it around

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Mellybelly13 For This Useful Post:

Bubbles10  (27-06-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Just put in lots of cheap conditioner. Cover with a shower cap for an hour then use a nit comb. Do it daily for 5-7days.