+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Sensitive children

My dd is 4.5 and honestly such a beautiful, kind hearted girl. She is so super sensitive. If another child ignores her or even looks at her with an angry type face she breaks down in tears. I want to support her & help her slowly build some resilience & confidence to feel more 'ok' in some situations. I've given her a few tools like take a deep breath, find another friend to play with etc. but I was wondering if anyone has any advice or tips for me to help her.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Sorry no advice but my 10 year old DD is the same so I'm hoping someone has advice.

I have involved her in many activities to try and overcome it but despite dancing for 7 years now and being quite outgoing at times she is still a very sensitive soul.

Thanks
    Reviews
    My mother used to tell me over and over that I was hypersensitive (while rolling her eyes) as a kid/teen. I recommend you don't do that! From what you've said though you don't. I think from what you've said that with you as a mum she'll be just fine She is responsive and I'm guessing emotionally intelligent, but I bet she gets over it quickly too.

I had a tough time as a kid/teen but I've grown out of it and am now pretty tough-minded. Also, I always thought it was a negative thing to be sensitive but now think it's a gift. I used to be reactive too like your DD but I'd also be over it once I got it out iykwim, which is actually much better that bottling feeling up (or not having feelings/emotional responses to begin with!).

Sensitive kids just needs lots of reassurance and affection and it sounds like you're doing just that. The last thing they need it criticism for being sensitive or overreactive and as a mum with a fairly sensitive little boy I'd come down heavily on anyone who criticised him for it! Because I live it and think he is gifted.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to eMBe For This Useful Post:

Whoknows  (27-06-2013)

αληθη is offline BH name read as Aleethee
    Winner 2012 - One most likely to be hacked by Nomsie
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    She sounds like Fluttershy. Maybe a couple episodes of My Little Pony could help her? (It's a different approach to people always telling her, and tv shows can make a big impact on kids). There are several episodes where they focus on insecurities.