+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I work in the public sector & I find that I am working with great colleagues.

I enjoy & take pride in my job. I work hard as does everyone else I know at the company.

All in all in my experience govenment departments are a good place to work, unless Campbell Newman is in charge. Then you just get no job security, no pay rises and no temporary to permancies granted. You spend every working day wondering if it will be your last with that company. You also go to work in the knowledge that when you want to start a family you will lose your job - on a temporary contract because Newman won't allow them to grant permanency.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    My experience of government is about 80% of people are hard-working, dynamic and open to change in procedure or policy. The other 20% are not.

I love government but some aspects really sh.t me. Eg it is basically impossible to lose your job and I've encountered one particular woman who was totally incompetent and a nasty bully yet remained in her job until a restructure happened and now is still getting paid by us while she is in a holding position. Essentially she may be paid to stay home on her bum despite being totally undeserving of a job.

I work for health dept and the constant struggle for basic funding is frustrating, especially when there is also so much waste - project teams formed and meetings held only for the project to fall apart, etc
    Last edited by duckduckgoose; 03-07-2013 at 00:41.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Bunny Lover View Post
    Remember years ago when the public perception was that public servants bludged and did nothing?!? I can't say I ever experienced that.
    Me neither! I currently work for a very corporate Commonwealth department (one of those already mentioned by JellyBeanIceCream). Everyone wears business suits, it's a high-pressure environment and very much resembles the private company I previously worked for. I work in one of the areas that operates 24-hours and even at 3am the work is challenging and enjoyable. There are lots of personality types but I've never come across those stereotypes that many Aussies have of the public service. I feel very, very lucky to have a job in either private or public enterprise, that I love so much.
    Last edited by Twocam; 09-07-2013 at 23:21.

MrsHoward is offline If all I have is you, then I have everything
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I am a public servant. It is different than private.

Main differences i find are i have better pay, better conditions and more allowances but less work lol

But i find the social life / people in private more fun and sociable public servants are boring and obsessed with work and politics....well at my work anyway

But the long lunch breaks are a plus!

Sent from my GT-P7320T using The Bub Hub mobile app
    Last edited by MrsHoward; 07-07-2013 at 17:52.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Ive worked in a few different govt. departments and found they vary a great deal

6. The Following User Says Thank You to soccer mum For This Useful Post:

Twocam  (09-07-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    It depends on the dept for sure. We don't get long lunch breaks- we get 30 mins unpaid - but you have to take it because of OH & S issues.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Sounds like the Dept I work for - but Jellybean didn't mention mine. I think you are in the sister dept to mine. I think we share offices sometimes?

Quote Originally Posted by Twocam View Post
    Me neither! I currently work for a very corporate Commonwealth department (one of those already mentioned by JellyBeanIceCream). Everyone wears business suits, it's a high-pressure environment and very much resembles the private company I previously worked for. I work in one of the areas that operates 24-hours and even at 3am the work is challenging and enjoyable. There are lots of personality types but I've never come across those stereotypes that many Aussies have of the public service. I feel very, very lucky to have a job in either private or public enterprise, that I love so much.