+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Witwicky is offline A closed mouth gathers no foot.
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I should add that I love working in government and I will be going back to a government role when I can. Sadly, I love policies and procedures The benefits were fantastic too, as were the pay and holidays.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Things vary between state/ commonwealth and between departments.

Experience may depends on where you work but those characteristics are not consistent with where I work. I've never worked harder than since i've been in the ps, we have huge demands, long work hours, have high profile, high pressure, low numbers of staff, people move around, etc.

I think comparing all the 'government' is like comparing all private organisations - is working at McDonalds the same as working at Westpac the same as working at your local family run small business?

3. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to HeyMissA For This Useful Post:

beebs  (27-06-2013),eMBe  (26-06-2013),Jellyfishie  (27-06-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    OP inappropriate comments = not cool. I tend to know a lot of the HR policies and tend to "inform" people when they don't do things correctly/within guidelines (not tell on people but print out the relevant documentation and give it to them and explain it). Including code of conduct information.

TMI stuff is very confronting sometimes. If its not your cup of tea then be nice and say you are busy or say you don't want to bore them??

Busy-Bee is offline Offending people since before Del :D
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Past Moderator - Thank you
    I've worked in state government and found it to be extremely professional environment. Whilst there was a lot of red tape and some of it in the wrong places that would be my only criticism.

Gossiping etc is not cool though.

FearlessLeader is offline Winner 2013 - Most Memorable Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    I think it comes down to individual workplaces and the mix of people. We have 4 branches of my local government job and they are all as different as you could imagine any 4 workplaces could be, where everyone is essentially doing exactly the same job and working for the same organization. The workplaces are so different I would move councils before working at some of the other branches.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Forgot to add - I think who you work with can make a big difference. I have worked in an area where it was 90% men who were mainly 15-20 years older so the culture there was very different - I left because I was told acting was going to get shared equally around the team but what that really meant was the two girls got a week each and the men got 4 weeks each.

Sometimes it is good to get your foot in the door and then keep your eyes open for another opportunity in an area that might suit you more?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I think you've just struck a bad bunch unfortunately. I'd suggest maybe keeping an eye open for other teams that are better and go for any positions that come up..?

Thanks
    Reviews
    I think you have all clarified this for me. While I like the people I work with as people, I think they're behaviour and comments at work are often highly inappropriate and they are so comfortable in their jobs (yet hate it seemingly) I am just feeling like the entire workplace houses too much negativity. I'm not even close to being a prude so that's why I'm a bit shocked by it all!

I'm reconsidering it all at the moment.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I worked in a big NSW government department for 4 years up until last year. My experience was that you get an enormous cross-section of the community- there are both slack, unprofessional people, and there are contentious diligent, hard workers.

Unfortunately, is is the stick-in-the-mud old school slackers are the ones who are usually the permanent employees that will never leave, and any redundancy is too expensive so they are there until retirement. So when the budget axe comes down, invariably its the people who actually get results and have the ability to leave who will move on to something else.

That said, I really enjoyed my role in Government and I imagine I will end up back there again in the future. I would still be there except for the huge restructure which changed my job completely and I moved back into private sector.

Could reeeeeallly use that government flexibility right about now though!!

PS- As for inappropriate comments. Yes, they are there- part of the old school slacker culture sadly. Believe it or not, I got patted on the bottom by one of the old boys there. I was shocked. I went through my manager and it was dealt with appropriately though, Government is good at handling that sort of thing.
    Last edited by soozie; 27-06-2013 at 14:01.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to soozie For This Useful Post:

eMBe  (27-06-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Hmmm I have worked in government for 14years in a variety of hospitals doing a variety of different positions. I've found it to be a very supportive environment in which new people have been welcomed and most have fitted in easily. I think it's been great which is probably why I continue to work for the health service.