+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Working in Government - what has been your experience?

I've always worked in private but recently started a new job in government. I must say, I am in shock.

Can anyone clarify this for me?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Maybe you can clarify what shocked you first? So we can clarify the matter...

3. The Following User Says Thank You to BlissedOut For This Useful Post:

beebs  (27-06-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hours/work ethic? I have worked in public and private and can see issues with both

Thanks
    Reviews
    I'm not even sure... It's just so different. I hate to say it but it seems very old-school and unprofessional. Many people here have been in their job for 30+ years and still do it the same way.

People are so familiar with each other that it feels very isolating for a new person, who is openly scrutinised in a way that 'we have no secrets here'. Don't get me wrong I love that the employees are down-to-earth characters as it's quite refreshing!

However, the lack of tact and professionalism (the way things are dealt with, jokes that are offensive and not nice, bad language and openly expressing opinions of other employees/managers in the office space). Dykwim?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I'm just sick of budget cuts and brig expected to do the same job to the same standard but with no resources!

7. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Bunny Lover For This Useful Post:

beebs  (27-06-2013),kezanazz  (07-07-2013),NurseAnni  (28-06-2013),smallpotatoes  (27-06-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Haha brig = being

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Hmm, that wasn't my experience of government - I found everyone to be more professional and respectful. They were very big on appropriate workplace behaviour and values.

Are you state or commonwealth?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I think that happens in all work places where people have been together for so long that they feel comfortable doing so.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by shelle65 View Post
    Hmm, that wasn't my experience of government - I found everyone to be more professional and respectful. They were very big on appropriate workplace behaviour and values.

Are you state or commonwealth?
    commonwealth. I'm in an administrative role and it's very um, cosy?? amongst the long-term employees. It's hard to explain, just very different to what I'm used to and I feel very, um, like a black sheep. I like my fellow employees, but they are very gossipy (about other employees), rude, crude at times and kind of in your face (ask your opinions and expect you to participate in the banter)... I don't know really how to describe it.

I love people like that in life, just think it can be very inappropriate at work.

Positive: pay is good! Work hours flexible. Benefits.

Witwicky is offline A closed mouth gathers no foot.
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    My experience with government was that everyone was extremely professional and conscientious of their work environment and colleagues. The agency was fraught with policies and procedures, there was no room to be unprofessional or unethical.