+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    It would be nice to have a choice in the clothing I buy but even though dh and I work our butts off we don't have this luxury. And boycotting these cheap clothes because of 'slavery'...well it's not going to work as these ppl who are atleast getting some income, they will lose their job and have zero income. A lot of things in this world are not right...

MilkingMaid is offline Winner 2009 - Mod Award - most supportive member
    Question those who don't question authority
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by mrstuilawa View Post
    I just downloaded the app, I'm going to go through the campaigns and scan random things in my house!
    Ooh please let me know how it goes, I'm very interested!

3. The Following User Says Thank You to MilkingMaid For This Useful Post:

missie_mackxxxx  (27-06-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    im a marketer's dream! Sorry, i'll by my kids $3 tshirts because in a year or less they wont fit them again and we are on one income ATM.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Little Miss Muffet For This Useful Post:

olismumma  (28-06-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by missie_mack View Post
    I am continually frustrated with the suggestion in many facets of life that people should be grateful for what they get without demanding or asking for more. If everyone had felt this way always, we would be living in similar standards ourselves! Business owners take up these options because we allow them to very few do it out of plain necessity. The year that Bonds (or Pacific Brands who makes Bonds as well as King Gee and others...) closed their factories in Australia and shipped everything overseas they made a profit of $52.7 million. I shudder to think the bonus that the CEO and upper management gave their staff afterwards Seriously there is no excuse to not paying their staff more than plain selfishness!
    Like! The bourgeoisie vs the proletariat. Just because their minuscule salary is better than nothing, doesn't make it ok to exploit them.

Busy-Bee is offline Offending people since before Del :D
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Past Moderator - Thank you
    Quote Originally Posted by missie_mack View Post
    I am continually frustrated with the suggestion in many facets of life that people should be grateful for what they get without demanding or asking for more. If everyone had felt this way always, we would be living in similar standards ourselves! Business owners take up these options because we allow them to very few do it out of plain necessity. The year that Bonds (or Pacific Brands who makes Bonds as well as King Gee and others...) closed their factories in Australia and shipped everything overseas they made a profit of $52.7 million. I shudder to think the bonus that the CEO and upper management gave their staff afterwards Seriously there is no excuse to not paying their staff more than plain selfishness!
    I totally agree with you but you have to remember that CEOs and Directors are mandated to put profit for their shareholders as their number one priority. Matters such as the environmental conservation, human rights, ethical working arrangements, customer satisfaction etc all come way down on the scale.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by AM View Post
    I have heard of iPhone apps with which you can scan barcodes, and they can check out the companies that manufacture a product, and see if they are ethical, or are involved in practices you have chosen to boycott.

Called "Buycott", I've not used it myself (not having an iPhone), but it sounds interesting, and there must be more apps like that around, surely??

Lots of people seem to use them to check for companies that support GM free practises etc.

ETA - Oxfam is awesome!! They have heaps of great projects to donate towards as well
    That app sounds fantastic! I was just thinking that I'd love to see some kind of labeling system for clothes that have been made ethically (ie. providing a real wage and good safety standards for employees) but can see how that would be difficult to implement. An app is a much simpler way of accessing that information.

mummabec is offline I could hold you for a million years, to make you feel my love
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Wow that's awesome!! I'm off to search for this app. I use the grocery one and its ace, hope this one's as good!

I have heard of iPhone apps with which you can scan barcodes, and they can check out the companies that manufacture a product, and see if they are ethical, or are involved in practices you have chosen to boycott.

Called "Buycott", I've not used it myself (not having an iPhone), but it sounds interesting, and there must be more apps like that around, surely??

Lots of people seem to use them to check for companies that support GM free practises etc.

ETA - Oxfam is awesome!! They have heaps of great projects to donate towards as well

Thanks
    Reviews
    If you want to help the sweatshop workers you can support these anti-sweatshop organisations.

http://fairwear.org.au/

http://www.globallabourrights.org/

http://www.cleanclothes.org/

http://en.maquilasolidarity.org/

http://www.laborrights.org/

Quote Originally Posted by Gentoo View Post
    That app sounds fantastic! I was just thinking that I'd love to see some kind of labeling system for clothes that have been made ethically (ie. providing a real wage and good safety standards for employees) but can see how that would be difficult to implement.
    There already are a couple.

One of them is Ethical Clothes Australia.

http://www.ethicalclothingaustralia.org.au/home/home

The other is Fair Trade. And Fair Trade doesn't only apply to clothes.

http://fairtrade.com.au/
    Last edited by nasalhaironfire; 29-06-2013 at 03:00.

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to nasalhaironfire For This Useful Post:

lambjam  (29-06-2013),MilkingMaid  (29-06-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts

I just downloaded it and it is an American app. It doesn't work here. Everything I scan says this is a rare product made in the US.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to BigRedV For This Useful Post:

MilkingMaid  (29-06-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Forever new openly admits to using Bangladesh etc to make their clothes but apparently they signed something to ensure its made safe. Their clothes cost a fortune !! Not sure why now if they are using sweat shops