+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    My children are good if I take one out if I have to take both it is a living hell.

They are both runners.... better term would be Usain bolt.

They can get out of the trolley and be out of sight in literally a second. I hold their hands but they have a habit of at the same time both wriggling out of my hands at the same time and running off in different directions and getting really far away...

I have to do a split second evaluation of who is heading in the most dangerous direction and run and grab him first then chase the other one while carrying one.... its awful

We use to have a bike chain lock on our backyard gate so out kids couldn't unlock the little closing thing my kids wereb2 and 3 at the time.

One day we had to have a surveyor come measure out our yard and we werent going to be home so had to leave it unlocked... I had lost the keys so had to cut it with bolt cutters anyway

I hadn't gotten a new one
    A week later my kids were playing boutside while I was in the kitchen. .. kitchen looks over the back yard

Then went to get the Washing from the laundry

In the 2 mins it took me to get the washing out of the machine

My children had stacked up bikes.

Undid the latch

And ran down the road down a different street and into someones garage

I was running not knowing where they went looking so desperately

It is extremely scary
    Upsetting

I cried so much.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Candiceo View Post
    Bit off topic but I'm always at a loss when I find a lost child and I don't have my ds with me to show the lost child that I'm a mummy too. You dont want to physically grab them to stop the lost kid from running but I dont want them to run out of sight while i'm looking for their parents. What do other ppl do when it's not your kid that lost and in distress?
    Ive been there,kidless with DH in a food court,and watched a kid running round for a bit looking lost.I calmly went up and said "do you know where your mummy or daddy is?" he didn't,luckily a security guard was walking past so I explained the situation and he took him.I was watching,and he found his parents a few tables down,and they didn't even seem concerned?!?! This was a HUGE food court with access to carpark right outside so he could have run,been hit by a car,or easily snatched.scary! In different circumstances,I have always watched a child and followed them to see if they could find parents.Honestly I wouldn't hesitate to step in,but would not touch them,just keep them in that spot and/or alert staff for a loud speaker call.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Candiceo View Post
    Bit off topic but I'm always at a loss when I find a lost child and I don't have my ds with me to show the lost child that I'm a mummy too. You dont want to physically grab them to stop the lost kid from running but I dont want them to run out of sight while i'm looking for their parents. What do other ppl do when it's not your kid that lost and in distress?
    I had this happen at Coles a few months ago. Little boy, about 5, screaming hysterically running towards me. Every single person he ran past just watched and continued on . I stepped in front if him and put my hands on his sholders. The poor boy was so upset I instintivly gave him a hug. An employee took him from there. I'd do it again if the situation every arose.

Sent from my GT-I9100T using The Bub Hub mobile app

Thanks
    Reviews
    I lose my son at the shopping centre every time we go practically. He's a runner

Thanks
    Reviews
    I lost my 3.5 y/o DD1 at the airport in Hawaii. DH went off to get our bags while I was strapping DD2 into the pram. DD1 followed him and I thought DH knew however he didn't and he collected our bags and came back. I nearly fainted when I realised she was not with him.

She had run in the opposite direction to us and was trying to get out through the customs gate. Two customs officers tried to stop her however she started screaming and hitting them so they basically backed her into a corner so she couldn't get out. I heard her screaming and was able to get to her fairly quickly because everyone had stopped what they were doing to see what was going on.

It was a pretty horrible start to our holiday!!!

Thanks
    Reviews
    I feel for you, it is gut wrenching. We lost my DD in a shop for nearly 15mins, they were about to close the front door, DH, DS and I were frantically calling her name. I don't know how but one minute she was with us and the next she had walked off. We found her sitting on a ledge near the cashier, she had realised she couldn't find us so figured we'd head there (didn't think a 3yo could have that logic!). It was absolutely horrendous, DH had a look of terror on his face that I don't think I've ever seen. She's never been one to wander off but seems that's her new skill.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    OP, we've all been there I think, it is a sick feeling.

You don't even have to have a 'runner'. My DD was about 2.5yr and we were in a department store browsing at dresses together, when suddenly I turned around and she was no where to be seen. I called her name over and over to no avail, looked everywhere we had just been in the shop, still no sight of her. I felt sick.
    After frantically going all throughout the store and still no sight of her, a young couple saw my freaked out face and asked me had I lost a daughter, as they had just returned from taking a girl to the customer service desk.

It turns out that whilst I was looking at the dresses, she had spotted a lolly on the ground and not wanting me to say she couldn't eat it, she hid under the clothes rack to eat it. She ignored me calling her as she was busily eating the lolly on the sly. The young couple noticed her underneath the rack and thought it was a bit odd she was there and coaxed her out. She confessed all to them and they took her to the desk. Thank goodness! I couldn't believe a 2.5yr old (she was my first child) could be so sneaky etc. Thank goodness for honest people in the world.

I have never been so relieved in all my life.

As for DD she was worried I would be mad at her for eating a lolly, hence her hiding so well and ignoring her name!

Thanks
    Reviews
    I forgot to on buckle 20mth DS into his pram properly the other day at our local shops. Got distracted by DD and my mum for 5 seconds, turned back to the pram, he was gone. I freaked! Bolted through the aisles, found him trying to make a mad dash out the door to the skilltester full of toys.

It was probably only 30 seconds but man, the panic you feel when you lose your child is like nothing else!

Sent from my GT-N8010 using The Bub Hub mobile app

Thanks
    Reviews
    Oh this is the worst feeling in the world DS is only 2.5 and I've lost him very briefly twice. Once he hid in a clothes rack at the shops (I was running up and down the isle searching for him and he was right there infront of me the whole time!) and the other time I lost sight of him at a park (not a fenced one) and found him hiding in a piece of equipment peering out at me thinking it was hilarious. It is so scary how quickly they can disappear - just a couple of seconds is all it takes.

I was taught very young if ever I was lost to STAY PUT - do not move until mum comes back. Or stop a lady with children to ask for help. I remember being lost at the zoo once when I was around 6, I was completely panicked but against all my instincts to run and look for mum I did what I was told and just sat down and mum came back and found me within a few minutes.
    Last edited by decemberbubba; 27-06-2013 at 05:52.

MilkingMaid is offline Winner 2009 - Mod Award - most supportive member
    Question those who don't question authority
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by GirlsRock View Post
    I lost my 3.5 y/o DD1 at the airport in Hawaii. DH went off to get our bags while I was strapping DD2 into the pram. DD1 followed him and I thought DH knew however he didn't and he collected our bags and came back. I nearly fainted when I realised she was not with him.

She had run in the opposite direction to us and was trying to get out through the customs gate. Two customs officers tried to stop her however she started screaming and hitting them so they basically backed her into a corner so she couldn't get out. I heard her screaming and was able to get to her fairly quickly because everyone had stopped what they were doing to see what was going on.

It was a pretty horrible start to our holiday!!!
    Airports are the worst! My worst 'lost' incident was at an airport and heaps of flights were booking in, it was chaos. The next time I had to do it with 2 kids under 3, by myself, I did buy a harness for my older boy, as customs agents are so damn horrible, (I know they are doing their job...) and my stress levels go through the roof trying to get through the whole thing... Yuck. Thank goodness never again with little ones.