+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Co-sleeping - I used to think of it as my shameful secret.

Thanks to BH I now know I identify with AP (just didn't know there was an actual term for it).

2. The Following User Says Thank You to 2Bboys For This Useful Post:

MilkingMaid  (26-06-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    yes!! I was a very ignorant person before BH. It has opened my eyes to a lot..too much to mention

Busy-Bee is offline Offending people since before Del :D
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Past Moderator - Thank you
    Yup.

- Smacking. I used to think smacking was ok but it was when someone asked the question "are you smacking out of your own frustration?" that I realised the answer was "yes" which quite frankly, for me was not good enough reason to smack. I've also learnt that smacking is associated with less optimum development.

- Breastfeeding beyond 6 months. I ended up bf'ing my DD for 18 months. What's more normal, breastmilk from a human or breastmilk from a cow?

- Pro-natural/informed birth. I used to believe that to advocate for natural birth was to define womanhood by her ability to birth which grated heavily on my feminist beliefs. I now separate the two issues, there is nothing 'anti-feminist' about advocating for natural/non-intervention birth.

- Drinking during pregnancy. Everyone has their own take on this but between pregnancies I read something like "if you had the occasional drink when preg and something happened to your baby would you spend the rest of your life wondering if the drink had caused it?". Given my mother's first baby had a double cleft palate and she has spent the last 56 years wondering if it was caused by the cold she had when pregnant I didn't want to risk a life-long guilt trip or the health of my baby.

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Busy-Bee For This Useful Post:

MilkingMaid  (26-06-2013),VicPark  (26-06-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Absolutely. Although it doesn't affect me as I don't have a son - routine infant circumcision. I don't want to start a debate so I'm not going to say how my views have changed.

lambjam is offline Nitwit! Blubber! Oddment! Tweak!
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I'm struggling to think of many things I've actually changed my mind on... MCNs vs disposables comes to mind, as does Ergo style carriers vs Baby Bjorns.

However BH has helped me to form stronger opinions on subjects I was previously a bit wishy-washy about. Eg RIC; while I was once anti for my own family I would have defended another family's right to make their own choice, however I don't anymore.

Discussions on here have often made me question why I believe what I do; while debating certain topics may not have actually changed my view, it has matured the thought process behind it.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to lambjam For This Useful Post:

VicPark  (26-06-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Breastfeeding - before DD was born I would have thought it weird to BF past 1 but after getting so much info & support from BH I realized it is normal and fantastic to feed longer! I just weaned DD at almost 3 y.o.
    Ear piercing - I always thought I would pierce DD's ears quite young, 2/3 months old. But after reading a few ear piercing debates and seeing so many good points against it my DD is still not pierced and I'm so glad.

10. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Just*Ace For This Useful Post:

Busy-Bee  (26-06-2013),MilkingMaid  (26-06-2013),VicPark  (26-06-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I haven't changed my mind about anything, I don't think. I have learnt a lot though and am now much more informed on topics I didn't know much about. I have learned about MCNs and we will be using them exclusively. I now know about RIC and before I hadn't given it much thought. There are quite a few things that I am much more informed about and because of this will be able to defend my choices better, like mcns, RIC, extended breastfeeding, baby wearing, co sleeping and many other things.
    Bubhub is pretty good for gathering information and to find support from similar minded people

Thanks
    Reviews
    Breastfeeding - with DS I wasn't too phased if bf didn't work and if we had to bottle feed etc. now I'm very much going to do everything I can to ensure a breast feeding journey that ends when my child self weans!

Other topics (nothing specific) but I like to read through and read others perspectives and learn about other people's thought processes, it helps me to keep an open mind

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to sjay For This Useful Post:

MilkingMaid  (26-06-2013),VicPark  (26-06-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Yes I have. I won't say what, but reading the stories of other members & thinking about their experiences really changed my view on the subject.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Nope, I've always been quite confident in what I do, so I've never really felt challenged enough to change my opinions and the way I do things.