+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Practical Tips for balancing everything?

I'm really interested to know how you guys manage the day to day things- managing your home, spending time with the bubs, spending time with partners, etc in addition to holding down a job. (sorry if this has already been covered, I couldn't see it)

So far, we've done the following:
    - we get lite n easy dinners delivered every week for weeknight dinners. Not the most gourmet, but it hits the spot and is one less thing to think about!
    - we got a cleaner. It only cost $70 for him to clean our place once a fortnight... Small price to pay for not having to scrub a shower!
    - hubby's shirts get washed and ironed at the laundromat every week- it's only $3 shirt! Again, all things considered its a small price to pay :-)
    - have twice the number of bottles I need, always sterilised and ready to go in the fridge, and a few packs of the premade formula packs (this is a new one since little guy was weaned a few weeks ago).

Love to hear what tips people have!!! :-)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    We do everything you do!!

We also do some bulk cooking at weekends.

Plan meals and write list on Fri night and then DH goes to supermarket really early on Sat morning so that its out of the way!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Wow, looks like you have most bases covered.
    I make lunches at night. Clean the kitchen at night - nothing worse than waking up to a big mess. Get bags packed at night, lay out 3yr old child's clothes so she can dress herself of morning. We iron everything on the weekend, so no mid week scramble for clothes. Grocery shop once a week and meal plan. Clean as I go (tidy especially eg don't walk up the other end of the house without taking something that needs to be put away). We have 1 weekend day for chores and errands, the other for fun. HTH.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Buy millions of pairs of socks, undies and stockings.
    Pack everything you need for the next day and put it in the car or by the door each night.
    Make a list of everything you have to remember every day and put it on the door.
    Keep a diary with you at all times and write everything in it.
    Keep your head down and just try to make it through the week!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    We meal plan to make life easier with ds 2 and 1.
    Very routined with the kids dinner bath and bed so more us time.
    And we work As a team and help each other

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I think you have some of the main ones covered, meals and cleaning, so I guess my ideas for the relationship side is in a way to schedule time. For bubs, you may find having a structured evening routine a great time to bond/play. So depending on your schedule/daycare etc. something like home, 15mins play, tea, bath, book/cuddles and then bed. That way you have spent quality time focusing solely on bub.
    As for your DH a few suggestions. Make one night a week/fortnight 'date' night. Even if you cant physically get a baby sitter and leave the house put bub to bed and have a nice meal or share a dessert and spend time together doing whatever it is you love; talking, movies or games are great ideas. Make sure you make time daily where you do nothing but reconnect (even if only for 10mins) as quite often we can be physically in a room with our partner but each involved in our own activities and never really having any meaningful interactions.

My only other tip is to guard and use your time wisely. Have a talk with your DH about what things you feel are important and fill your out of work hours with them and then the other things you may currently do either pull-back/quit or if not possible to stop completely - outsource if possible (as you are doing with cleaning/ironing).

Good luck
    Last edited by Isabellabean; 25-06-2013 at 21:31.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    It's hard to juggle all the things of a busy life isn't it?

I agree with what you're doing and what others have said.

I think building a good support network around you is good too. Finding people to help out in an emergency is essential. Whether that's other mums, friends, family, etc. Someone who might be able to look after bubs if you or your dh can't and childcare isn't an option. That might mean 'trying them out' for date night babysitting or things like that, but it's a good way to start.

We are decluttering majorly and I am finding that helpful. It's extremely hard to find the time to do the decluttering, but I feel like the less things we have the less cleaning up I'll have to do. For our bed we have 2 sets of linen - one on the bed, one ready to go on it. For our ds we have 3 sets, that's it. For our dd, also 3 - 4 sets for her cot.

Keeping clothes organised especially for the kids is great. Getting rid of clothes that no longer fit is essential - you don't want to pull out 4 tops to find one of the right size. It might mean just boxing it up in the case that you are saving the clothes, but you really need to get the smaller sizes out of the normal drawers asap to make your life easier. In preparation for a week long holiday with limited packing space I bought the kids some cheap clothes that easily go in the dryer and they have been great. So much easier to get the clothes washed & dried without worrying about the clothes being fragile or taking a day to dry.

Another thing that's really helped me is meal planning. Sitting down & planning meals 1 week in advance has made our lives a lot easier. We also have a master list of our favourite dinners on the pantry door to use as inspiration - *that* has been a great idea!

Thanks
    Reviews
    I'm not back at work yet, but in late pregnancy and now ten weeks into motherhood, I found a few things handy:-
    Get groceries home delivered. Absolute lifesaver. Woollies delivers in a three hour window and it only costs about $13.
    Bulk meal cook on the weekend, have leftovers ready to go.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/1/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 7/11/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 3/10/14100 Posts in a week
    - cleaner
    - groceries home delivered (fortnightly, less time spent ordering/packing away etc)
    - write a schedule. Plan out your mornings to the tee to make sure you get out of the house on time
    - double up. For example I have a bath with bub and it is our quality play time of an afternoon.
    - have bubs daycare bag packed the night before
    - have bubs dinner ready the night before. That way you can put bub in the highchair as soon as you get home from work.