+ Reply to Thread
    headoverfeet is offline The truth will set you free, but first it will **** you off. -Gloria Steinem
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week

Exclamation Changes to 4 year old health check for non-vaccinators.

Just a reminder this is the Pro Non-Vaxxing section and that this ONLY affects non-vaxxers. Please hold your tongue (aka fingers) if it will not affect your family assistance payments, cheers.

Just wanted to let other families know that as of May the 27th Medicare will no longer cover the cost of the 4yr old healthy kids check if you are not getting vaccinations done at the same time. Instead you can have a normal health check done by a GP who needs to check your child's weight, height, vision and hearing or you can have a 3 year old health check which is outlined in the Personal Health Record book. If you want them to do a HKC it will cost you $120 out of pocket.

There is more info here http://www.humanservices.gov.au/cust...l-health-check

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Sorry I'm being a bit thick today- is the health check compulsory to get FTB A? And usually the cost of it would be covered but if your child is unvaxed you have to pay for it yourself? That seems stupid?

MilkingMaid is offline Winner 2009 - Mod Award - most supportive member
    Question those who don't question authority
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Total discrimination for something that is voluntary, however, there always seems to be a way around these ridiculous rules... good info

Thanks
    Reviews
    OP, there's actually a lot more to it than that. The requirements for health checks are dependent on a state by state (or territory) basis and the recipient's personal circumstances. Directives are given by Human Services on a case by case basis - it's not an automatic thing. So, if you are a non vaxxer and you receive the FTB Part A supplement AND you are also in receipt of a welfare payment then you need to check in with your area office to discussed your situation with them if you have not received a letter from them. There has always been a requirement for children to be immunised as part of the eligibility requirements for recipients of Part A and this payment has continued to be paid to non vaxxers with approved exemptions. The same applies to Healthy Start (irrespective of this, non vaxxers can still obtain free health checks for their children). Again, it always pays to keep in touch with Human Services to get the facts as they apply to you, personally.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    To be honest I never got it done anyway, found it quite useless when you can go and have a proper eye test for free at a real optometrist's with your medicare card and if you have concerns about your child's hearing you can also have a free hearing test with a proper audiologist at your local hospital.

headoverfeet is offline The truth will set you free, but first it will **** you off. -Gloria Steinem
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    happy wanderer I'm not talking about the requirement to have one, simply that IF you are required to have one you will have to pay for it as it will not be covered by MBS anymore. There are alternatives, I have outlined the ones for my state and provided the link so other people can check theirs. And I called family assistance while sitting in the doctors surgery today and they had NO idea what I was talking about until I told them exactly what the nurse was telling me and then the person I was speaking too basically told me it was my problem to figure out as she had no idea what I could do instead of the HKC I went on to point out what was outlined in the above link and she put me back on hold while she went to check for a good 20min. So please do not tell me that human services know what they are talking about because sometimes they are USELESS! I hope that the letter I have obtained from the GP will be enough to cover what they want I will find out tomorrow when I take it in.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by AM View Post
    Total discrimination for something that is voluntary, however, there always seems to be a way around these ridiculous rules... good info
    Yep

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by Hootenanny View Post
    To be honest I never got it done anyway, found it quite useless when you can go and have a proper eye test for free at a real optometrist's with your medicare card and if you have concerns about your child's hearing you can also have a free hearing test with a proper audiologist at your local hospital.
    Totally agree, the only reason I went was because he would miss out on his supplement.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by missie_mack View Post
    I *think* from memory we weren't eligible for it as DS wasn't fully vaccinated at four anyway... and the check had to be done with vaccination (this was 2011). Fro what I remember if you HAD to have the test (if you got a centrelink benefit..) you got a letter. You were however able to have the test done independently by a GP but unless the bulked billed it was at your own cost.

Is this the same?
    I had DS1 done last year and it was free regardless of vaccination status. I have no idea who has to have the test done and who doesn't, I have received a letter for both my children, last year and this year, stating that we have to have it done No it's not the same, unless you are vaccinating it will cost you $ to have the HKC done.

Yes you can still get it done independently at your own cost.
    Last edited by headoverfeet; 26-06-2013 at 00:21.