+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default People who make everything from scratch?

I'd love you to come talk to me I'm on a mission, no more buying sauces, snacks etc I'm a mean green baking machine but a quiet clueless one. White sauce for pastas ect is mastered, needing some red cooking base sauces, i know i could use google but it's always hit and miss. Also treats for the kids, fruit is big in our house but they like non fruit snacks as well. We've been wasting so much money on all this pre packaged stuff it's time to get back to basics, I've done muffins, cup cakes, cookies, honey joys, attempting jelly slice as we speak however it always fails practice makes perfect right? Anyone that has any input in any way shape or form i will appreciate it so much thanks

SpecialPatrolGroup is offline T-rex is cranky until she gets her coffee.
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I'm not above a bit of good old fashioned improvisation.....aka making it up as I go along. When you say red sauces, what sort of meals are you thinking of?

I make my bolognaise (meat and sauce) all together in one pot - olive oil, garlic, onion, diced carrot, bacon or ham, red wine, mince or finely diced beef, can of diced or crushed tomatoes.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    For bolagnaise i do
    diced/crushed tomatoes
    tomato soup
    tomato paste
    olive oil
    garlic
    onion
    chilli
    bacon
    mince
    bulk italian herbs

and let it simmer for about 45 minutes and usually end up throwing a bit of cornflower in to thicken it

Thanks
    Reviews
    Yep, when you have a basic red sauce for pasta, anything goes.

Add dried chilli and cooked bacon, you have amatriciana sauce. Add anchovies and olives you get puttanesca. You get the gist.

Go yo Taste website. They have great recipes.

Home made muesli bars are yummo too. Oat and raisin cookies. Mini frittatas.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Basic red sauce I sauté onion and garlic in olive oil. Add 1 or 2 tablespoon tomato paste. Add some herbs. I like yo use dried oregano. Cook for a minute. (I'll add thyme to bolognaise as well. )Pour in some white wine.
    Add tinned tomatoes. I often will use a few big cans. 1/2 to 3/4 fill with water and add to saucepan.
    Add a tsp of sugar and some salt.
    Simmer for 1 hour, stirring. You want to reduce it to a good consistency.
    For bolognaise, brown the meat just after the onions.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I'm exactly the same we no longer buy snacks and everything is made from scratch. I do cheat and use tinned tomatoes though. For snacks my kids love Cheese bikkies that are just cheese, flour (I use wholemeal) and a little bit of butter. My kids love them especially with all the shapes we can make. Also apricot balls with just muesli (or oats) dried apricots and honey. They are firm favourites in our house.

Thanks
    Reviews
    When it comes to tomato based pasta sauce a tip I received from an old Italian lady was one teaspoon of salt to one teaspoon of sugar keeps the balance just right. And fry off your garlic first and remove before the onions so it doesn't burn

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Homemade dips are great healthy snacks - DS loves guacamole ( 2 avocados, lime juice , dash sweet chili sauce ) hummus ( chickpeas, olive oil, garlic, tahini, cumin) or tzatziki ( Greek yogurt, lemon juice, garlic and cucumber ) and serve with veggie sticks like carrot, cucumber and capsicum or crackers

Baked veggie chips - use a peeler and slice thin whole slices of beet root, parsnip, beet root and sweet potato, play on lined baking tray - spray with olive oil and bake until crisp - 10 minutes

In summer I make my own yogurt ice blocks - literally yogurt and fruit blended but the kids love them!

I make all our sauces, stocks, curries, dressings, Mexican and Chinese etc , we have a huge herb garden which I use daily and once you start making homemade you will never use a packet again ! So much difference in taste and flavour - we try and do a tomato sauce making day once a year but I do have really good quality Italian tin tomatoes ( mutti) that I do use a lot and try make your own stocks when you can as packet ones are full of additives and salt

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    If you're wanting from scratch - don't even use tinned tomatoes. Just have some fresh tomatoes, peel them (you can google how to do that easily), dice them, then simmer them down. Adding onion, herbs and salt and pepper and such as well. I find if my tomato sauce isn't tasting "tomatoey" enough I just add a little balsamic vinegar or red wine. Just a tad - it boosts the flavour.

THE BEST carbonara sauce is 3-4 egg yolks, 100mL thickened cream and 50g grated parmesan cheese. You mix that together and stir it through hot, freshly drained pasta... that will cook it for you.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Lovely Thanks everyone for your replies, red sauces would be for things like lasagna, spaghetti pasta dishes, hoping to be able to make my own for even simple meals like borritos tacos, parimjana can you freeze these sauces? I have a veggie garden which is in the process of expanding so when i have an overload of tomatos i'd love to make a few different sauces. I did see apricot balls on taste today actually i think the kids would love them. I get a bit overwhelmed by all the recipes so needed some starting points hoping as i get better it will start to come a bit more natural, i realise that probably sounds pathetic but it took dp many years to teach me to cook i was useless and hated it i'm starting to enjoy it now omg i must be maturing at the ripe old age of 30