+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Question Advanced Embryo Selection (PGD) - would love some insights and advice please.

Hi all,

We are going through IVF with MIVF again for our second child. The reason for IVF is a failed vasectomy reversal.

We had 3 frozen embryos left from the stim. cycle we did in 2009 when we were trying for our first child. The first of these transfers (all day two transfers) in May resulted in a BFN and then the transfer of the second embryo resulted in a pregnancy with a good solid HCG level of 175 (tested two days early due to long weekend) which rose but too slowly and ended in an early miscarriage. We are about to transfer the third frozen embryo.

If this frozen embryo isn't successful though we are back to a stim. cycle and trying to decide whether to also do PGD Advanced Embryo Selection.

My FS has said it could be a good idea as I am now 39 (and my husband has said he doesn't want us to try for more than 12 months) and my FS said the benefit of Advanced Embryo Selection is that it reduces time and hopefully means less chance of more chemical pregnancies/miscarriages. (We also had two chemical pregnancies/early miscarriages) in 2009 before we got our successful BFP which resulted in our beautiful little girl.

If we do go ahead it looks like we will be out of pocket an additional $4,000 (as there is no Medicare rebate available for it) so it will be a lot more expensive however if our chances of success are significantly increased with Advanced Embryo Selection and it would mean less embryo transfers in the future then maybe it will end up 'evening out' and being a similar cost.

I would love to hear from others who have done advanced embryo selection in order to help us decide whether to proceed with it.

I am really interested to hear if you think it has significantly increased your chance of a successful pregnancy and if a BFP has happened on the first/or first couple of embryo transfers you had using Advanced Embryo Selection embryos as I’d love to understand if this is really going to help us.

Thanks in advance!

BB.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Hi buttonbub,

Our stories are very similar!!! We did our first IVF cycle in 2009 as my husband had a failed vas reversal as well. Also, turns out we also both carry the cystic fibrosis gene which neither of us had any idea about, so we needed to have PGD as well!! We had 4 embryos that were able to be tested, our second attempt gave us our beautiful nearly 3yr old son!

Fast forward to October last year when we went back to try for number 2 with our 2 frosties, the first one didn't survive the thaw, and the second one didn't take.

Our FS suggested for our next full cycle that we also do CGH testing (which is our clinic's chromosome testing, so assume the same as advanced embryo screening), as we had to do the CF testing anyway, so may as well just do a full screen, and it was a hard decision to make because it meant a freeze all and it took a month to get the results back. We did a full cycle in November, and only got 1 embryo that was able to be tested, then did another full cycle in January where we got 6 embryos, so we had 7 in total.

Of that 7...2 were affected by CF but chromosomally fine, 2 were clear of CF but chromosomally abnormal, and 2 were chromosomally normal but were both CF carriers (so just like hubby and me)...so we lost 5 of our 7 due to genetic/chromosome issues.

In hindsight, i am SO glad we did it. Those 3 embies that were chromosomally abnormal were clear of CF, so if we only done the CF testing and had NOT done the additional testing, they would have been the 3 that were used first in our future FET's because they were clear of cystic fibrosis. The 2 that we had that were chromosomally fine but were carriers, would have been the last 2 used, purely because they were carriers. So basically, we saved ourselves 3 rounds of FET's (roughly $10k) due to the additional testing.

We spent extra money on the cycle, but saved ourselves much more than we outlayed.

I am now 10wk pregnant with #2 - our first FET following the testing didnt work, and our last embryo was the one that decided to stick! Hubby and I had decided that this would be our last go, if it didn't work then that would be it for us, we just couldn't deal with the stress anymore. So we are absolutely over the moon! So whilst it is no guarantee, as 1 of our 2 didn't take, we absolutely did benefit from it in saving 3 rounds of heartbreak!

We were also told that the chances of miscarriage following the testing were significantly reduced, because the majority of miscarriages are due to chromosome abnormalities. We were really shocked that 3 of our embryos were abnormal.

Good luck with your decision

Thanks
    Reviews
    Oh, and our clinic tests on day 5/6, not day 3 like some other clinics....

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi ladies, my situation is similar to yours gilliebean, my hubby and i both have the same cf gene, but his affected him and he has no vas deferens so first he had a small surgery and then we did ICSI. Since our first stim cycle, we've had 3 transfers. Currently in the 2ww with 1 embryo with no CF and 1 embryo is a carrier.

I don't know if this has increased our chances or not.. it's the only option we had

Thanks
    Reviews
    Ohhh good luck KS09! When is your BT? Genetic testing is stressful, its an added step to worry about but the benefits far outweigh the bad bits I reckon! All I can say is thank god they can test for CF now! Its such a hideous disease and knowing that you have a 1:4 chance of having a very sick child makes all the work to avoid it worth it x

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    We are doing our final cycle in December and considering the amount of frozen embryos that haven't thawed we looked into pgd but have decided we won't do it since they now have a new solution that all clinics now use that has increased the chances significantly so we will see how this cycle goes.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by gilliebean1 View Post
    Ohhh good luck KS09! When is your BT? Genetic testing is stressful, its an added step to worry about but the benefits far outweigh the bad bits I reckon! All I can say is thank god they can test for CF now! Its such a hideous disease and knowing that you have a 1:4 chance of having a very sick child makes all the work to avoid it worth it x
    my BT is 1st July, just a few more days to go. I had never heard of this, and neither had my parents or my in-laws. My parents and in-laws had to be tested for CF too and i got it from my mum and he got it from his dad. I had no idea what CF even was until we started testing.

We'll see how things go, we are also looking into doing pgd with gener selection as a male offspring may have the same problem that my husband as a result of being a carrier...i'll worry about that later, have enough to worry about right now

Thanks
    Reviews
    Oohh not long to go at all! This is a sticky baby. We didnt get family tested, am curious what side it would have come from but as noone has ever had any issues with having kids it never even crossed my mind. My hubby's brother is infertile, hubby thought maybe that could have been the cause but I am sure he said it was another reason, not sure. Our FS said to hubby when his reversal failed that it could have been due to the CF, but upon further research it turned out the Dr that did the procedure in the first place removed all the tubes, so there wasn't anything left to even try to reconnect But if it hadn't been for his vasectomy, we never would have known about the CF, so i am trying to see the good things in it instead of being dirty about him having the snip when he was 29 and childless (pre me!) ;-)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi ladies,

Thanks so much for your responses.

gilliebean1 – thanks for taking the time to share your story so comprehensively and huge CONGRATS on your pregnancy! Our little ones are very similar in age – my little girl will be three in September!

KS09 – fingers crossed for you that this cycle brings you a BFP!!

Kimberleygal1 – when you say @since they now have a new solution that all clinics now use that has increased the chances significantly” which solution are you referring to? Do you mean the Array testing?

BB.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hello All, I'm having ICSI with PGD for a genetic condition I have. I have a 50% chance of passing it on so decided I wanted to screen it out. I got 18 eggs EPU on Monday, so fingers crossed I get a few good embies. What are the experiences others have had with the number of embryos you have got with ICSI and PGD?