+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    DP totally fell asleep while I was in labour. But he did have an excuse so I forgave him for it (eventually). He does shift work and he'd just come off his final night shift. Literally - he was then scheduled to take 6 weeks annual leave to help me out with the baby.

DS wasn't due for another two weeks anyway.

DP came home at 6am, my waters broke at around 8:30 and he didn't get much of a chance to sleep because I'd been having contractions since 2am, I was whimpering in pain and he's a light sleeper. He fell asleep at some point after the nurses gave me pethidine (the gas, it does nothing!) and told me to try to take a nap. I dozed in and out.

To his credit, he snapped right back to attention when I was told bub was in distress, I wasn't progressing in a timely manner and I'd need an emergency c-section. Then he went into the OR with me, cut the cord, went with DS to the NICU and manned the doors when family stormed the hospital afterwards.

I don't think he got to sleep again until at least 10pm that night - then he was back at the hospital next morning from the beginning of visiting hours.
    Last edited by snowqu33n; 25-06-2013 at 18:06.

Thanks
    Reviews
    My ex missed DS2's birth because it went from them telling me I wasn't yet in labour, to him coming out in about half an hour. No matter how hard he tried, there was no way he was getting there as I'd had to change hospitals from the one close to home to one 40 minutes away because after some health issues, my pregnancy had become high risk.

Anyway, he arrived about 5 minutes after the birth. He called me to find out where I was and it was kind of cool because I said "I'm in delivery, um, I had the baby." I was worried he would be sad about it, but he wasn't. I didn't really mind at all tbh, we got to spend time alone with DS2 after that, and that was really nice. The labour was so quick that I don't think I'd have noticed who was there. I'm sad that my photographer didn't make it, though.

Anyway, sorry for the essay. In the circumstances you posted in the OP, I would be annoyed. Missing it for a legitimate reason is one thing, but if you miss it because you fell asleep then you're just an a$$ IMO.
    Last edited by nicoletta; 25-06-2013 at 18:14.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    With jasper I was stuck in hospital for 45 hours so df went home twice in that time to go sleep in our own bed in peace.

Had I given birth suddenly it wouldn't have reflected on him at all.

Though had he wanted to leave while I was in labour with katelyn once we were at hospital I'd have told him to suck it up princess! If I can't go home - nobody can go home! That said I'd sent him to work two of the three days I was in labour with katelyn, because I wanted quietly labour without him around.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using The Bub Hub mobile app

αληθη is offline BH name read as Aleethee
    Winner 2012 - One most likely to be hacked by Nomsie
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by VicPark View Post
    Oh Hun I'm not sure about this. Your DP is either your partner and loves you or he's not. If he loves you and has chosen to be with you even though you are pregnant with someone else's bubba, he needs to drop everything to support YOU in your time of need. He can't choose to be with you then treat you like a part time second rate girlfriend.
    Yeah I know what you're saying, I use dp on here cause it's easier than saying 'my best buddy who to everyone else is my boyfriend but to us we have a good relationship that's working for us but so hard to explain'

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by αληθη View Post
    Yeah I know what you're saying, I use dp on here cause it's easier than saying 'my best buddy who to everyone else is my boyfriend but to us we have a good relationship that's working for us but so hard to explain'
    I used to have one of these. It is very hard to explain!

Sent from my GT-N8010 using The Bub Hub mobile app

6. The Following User Says Thank You to risfaerie For This Useful Post:

αληθη  (26-06-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    My DH slept through all four of my labours. In fact, when I was in transition with baby #2 I asked him to leave me alone for a while. So I get it- some women like to labour alone without anyone watching them. I woke him up by throwing a wet towel at his face when I was getting *pushy*. I feel a bit sorry for the guy in the OP- he was told it would be fine to go home for a rest, and she unexpectedly had the baby. It's notlike he said *yeah, I'm over this crap, call me when it's done"

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Roopee For This Useful Post:

upforroundtwo  (26-06-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Although not quite the same, my Mum missed the birth of my son. The midwives didn't think I was in labour and rang my Mum at 6.30am when I went to the delivery suite. They said "don't rush, it'll be a while yet but come down when your ready". She had a shower and a cup of tea and made the 10min drive down- she missed the birth by 10min.

I must admit- I was a little upset. With so much going on, I didn't take note of details like what DS looked like when he was first born, whether he cried or not. It would have been nice for someone to be there to remind me of those details. Still, I didn't cry over it- more like a "bummer" moment.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Im in labour with our child - you are going to help and support me! - end of story!. My dh wouldnt dream of leaving me to go have a nap for a few hours! - yes he may be tired (not as tired as me!!!) but he can catch up on those few hours sleep not the birth of his child.

I think it is really self centred - he must think the world revolves around him. ( he may have a mental condition etc etc) but what about when the baby needs him?, when you become a parent the child comes 1st (in most instances!)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Wouldnt work for us. DP would be devastated if he missed the birth!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Surprised the staff didn't call him when they realised the labour was progressing a lot more quickly (or maybe they did).
    He could have slept in the car, or found a couch in a different area of he hospital so that he was handy if things did progress more quickly. If you're seriously that tired, you'd sleep through all the beeping and monitoring anyway.

My husband slept when I had an epidural and had a sleep too. The noise and movement of staff around the hospital certainly didn't stop us sleeping. I think OH's snoring might have been louder!