+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Royal Womens Hospital in Melbourne - feedback please!

Hello ladies, I'm brand new to Melbourne from the US just last month, and am now 35 weeks pregnant with my second son. We moved to Australia to raise our children and for a better lifestyle. My husband is Australian.

I am using the public system, since most private health policies have a 12 month waiting period before they will cover private maternity costs. Because of our location (Essendon), I was registered at the Royal Womens. Everyone I've talked to since arriving in Melbourne has raved about it. But my experience has been anything but positive.

I've felt like a number. Like I'm one in a herd of cattle they're wrangling. I've had only two appointments there, neither of which have been personal at all. I'm given little opportunity to voice my concerns or feelings. It's as if all the midwives/nurses have memorized scripts that they want to recite so they can move on to the next patient. Nobody has expressed interest in my wants/needs as far as birth plan goes, or desires regarding drugs during labor, etc. They haven't bothered to weigh me (something they always did first thing in the US). I won't see a midwife again until 29 weeks! That's only 3 appointments before giving birth there.

I've read some mixed reviews of this hospital, many on completely opposite ends of the spectrum from "excellent" to "horrible". Does anyone have an opinion or experience they could share? I don't know where else to turn and I'm a bit worried about my upcoming experience at this hospital. Thanks!

Thanks
    Reviews
    I'm currently 25 weeks and I have been attending RWH for all my pre-natal care since I was 9 weeks. I would have opted to do shared care, with a GP and only a few visits at the hospital but I am diabetic and considered high risk so I'm at the hospital every fortnight (it sucks as it kills my whole day) so I think if they were concerned about your pregnancy in any way they would be seeing you more often.

They may be assuming that you will be seeing a GP as well which might explain having so few scheduled visits and you are always welcome to see the G.P and get advice on weight gain, get your blood pressure checked etc, I promise a decent one wont mind at all.

I agree, the waiting room does feel a bit like a cattle truck but i haven't felt particularly rushed during the actual consultation and most of the Docs i have seen have always asked if i have any questions before dismissing me. Don't feel rushed out, if you don't like the Doc you have just seen just ask the receptionist at the appointment desks to put you with someone else when they schedule your next visit. I'm a nurse so i might also be a bit more forgiving and understanding about how stretched the public system is though too.

If you are feeling like you're not getting the support need you might consider consulting a private Doula (it can cost around $1000 per pregnancy) or perhaps approaching your local baby health centre and talking to the nurses there or ask them to introduce you to a new mums group. Also ask about pre-natal classes, even if this is not your first bub, they provide a great opportunity to ask questions.
    Last edited by orlyon; 25-06-2013 at 12:24.

Thanks
    Reviews
    JBWeir have you had your baby? How was you experience? Did you go with RWH in the end?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    RWH sucked for me.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I had my baby there in May. I found the doctors and midwifes to be fantastic during my pregnancy and my horrible labour.

I believe they have to many people there. They kick mum and bubs out way to early. For example my daughter wasn't latching and wasn't swallowing properly...we never should have gone home so early. They just can't keep up there.

Overall, I am thankful I was in their hands for the delivery it ended up being. They have the best doctors on hand 24/7.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I'm writing this from RWH! Just had my bub via cesarean on Friday, he's a massive 4740g so glad in hindsight that I took that advice. I had been getting frustrated because I didn't feel they were being fair about pushing me away from a VBAC. Turns out they were spot on and it was for the best they do have the most experienced doctors and very thorough with the testing. The actual surgery was wonderful, so gentle and reassuring and the midwives have been very helpful and very generous and prompt with pain relief. I do feel nervous about going home so early. 72 hours later but I will have a midwife visit on Wednesday and i have a great gp.

The food is bloody awful though and very small serves.
    Last edited by orlyon; 13-10-2013 at 21:34.