+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Older mums...everything I read is so depressing!

Hi all,

I'm 38 years old and 6 weeks pregnant. My husband and I have been TTC for only a few months and are over the moon that we've had a BFP.

Over the last couple of weeks I've been doing a lot of reading and TBH everything is really depressing! So much written about being older than 35 being associated with increased likelihood of miscarriage, increased likelihood of chromosomal defects, increased likelihood of birth complications etc etc. At the moment I'm thinking I might as well give up any hope of having a healthy, happy baby! Is it really that bad???

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi Tangwyn

Congratulations on your BFP!
    Statistically being older the chances of the things you mention are higher, but despite that, most women our age go on to have beautiful, happy, healthy babies.
    I had DD at 37, I had a low risk pregnancy,an amazing birth and a perfect daughter.
    I'm 18 weeks with number two and despite my age am still classes as low risk.
    Good luck!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Congrats on your bfp! Im in my early 30's and I know what you mean! There is so much focus on being over 35 its very worrying but so many ppl are having healthy happy babies older now! I think more ppl r having a career and travelling first and putting off ttc until their thirties. u got pregnant very quick so thats a great sign!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I can understand why you feel that way - I think we've read all the same articles! Just keep in mind that there are plenty of older mums who have perfectly boring pregnancies (read fine) and go on to give birth to happy and healthy babies. Just try and take one day at a time (as hard as that may be!) and enjoy your pregnancy. Remember that the longer you carry - the more your risk of miscarriage decreases - and you'll go through all the necessary tests at different stages.....jump off those bridges as you come to them. Although it might pay to have that discussion with your DH (husband) sooner rather than later, regarding how you both feel about carrying/giving birth to/raising a child with any kind of issues, just so you know youre on the same page, or if not, to work anything out if need be. Best of luck to you both! And congratulations!
    Last edited by littleduck; 24-06-2013 at 20:15. Reason: Clarification

Thanks
    Reviews
    Stop reading!!

All the best for your pregnancy and congrats.

Thanks
    Reviews
    My mum had my little bro at 41. She had no complications or anything different from her other pregnancies. Ys there is a higher risk but that doesn't mean it's a definite! Congratulations!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I was 42 last year when my first was born. I'm 43 now - he's nearly 8 months old. In some ways it's tough being an older first time mum but the rewards are worth it. Statistically there is more risk but the risks are still low. Good luck with your pregnancy

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Waggers70 For This Useful Post:

Twocam  (26-06-2013)

Allymumtobe is offline Winner 2012 - Most Optimistic Poster
    Thanks
    Reviews
    My mum had my sister at 42 and was convinced she would have all the problems! Besides some blood pressure issues at the very end it was fine.

I'm 25 and my buba had a chromosomal defect. In my experience age doesn't make a huge difference. Remember when they say "twice as likely" your going from 1% to 2% it's still very low

Angus 4~6~13, loved - wanted - missed

Thanks
    Reviews
    I had DD at 41, easy pregnancy, breezed right through it.

Keep the reading to a minimum.

Congratulations on your BFP!

Mod-biscotti is offline Administrator Administrator
    Winner 2012 - Naughtiest/Cheekiest Mod
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    I had my last baby at 40 (yes I know, the horror ) and had a perfectly boring pregnancy and a fabulous water birth. She is an absolute delight.

All the best