+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Busy-Bee is offline Offending people since before Del :D
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Past Moderator - Thank you
    Back again after some delicious enchiladas.

I think the hypnobirthing book(s) was great but I don't think expecting a pain free birth is realistic.

I wasn't just no afraid of labour, I got excited about it. Dam it, this baby was coming out and I was NEVER going to be pregnant again!!! (That was reason to celebrate for me because pregnancy was rather hard on my body.) By the time the cxs were about 6 or 7 minutes apart they were painful but still very manageable. Again, no hysterics or anything like that. Just counting, long deep breathing and chalking another cx off. I went to hospital at about this time (which was about 1pm the following afternoon). Unfortunately I lost it a bit on the car journey. What does NO woman (or partner!!) want o face when they have a woman deep in labour in the car? A traffic jam! EEK! What should have been about a 15 minute journey took about 30 minutes and things escalated very fast in the car. The stress of the traffic jam didn't help either. I got to the hospital at 1:30 and asked for an internal. I thought anything less than 5cm and I'm going to struggle to make it. When the MW said to me "you're a good 8cm" I could have danced a jig. I had no idea I was that far along. The pain had only ramped up to being really bad when I was in the car and that would have been mostly due to the stress of the car journey. I took some gas at that point and it was a great focus. The cxs were virtually on top of each other at that point but I was coherent enough between them to get DF to put my CD of classical music on and collect myself. I should have gone into the shower at that point but I started to feel the urge to push and DD was born at 2:05.

So, in summary if you're after a natural, intervention free birth then I would recommend the following:

Develop total confidence in your body. It knows what it's doing!!
    Read anything and everything on positive birth stories to make them really normal to you.
    Watch nice homebirth videos
    Have plans in place on what you will say if your care providers start talking intervention.
    Get some music together that you can listen to during labour that you find totally relaxing (I had really nice classical music - I can recommend some tunes if you like)
    Know your options for unmedicated pain relief like shower with water on your back, groaning etc.
    Read the nice birth stories in here.
    Most of all - get excited about labour!!

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Busy-Bee For This Useful Post:

lotsathoughts  (17-08-2013),Mod-Nomsie  (24-06-2013)

Mod-Nomsie is offline Administrator
    Winner 2009/10/11/12/13 - Most helpful Moderator
    Winner 2011 - Naughtiest/Cheekiest Mod
    Winner - Quickest 'Thanker' on the Hub
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    200 Posts in a week100 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 15/1/15
    Thanks bec

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I had a drug free homebirth for my first baby.

I read hypnobirthing and listened to the CD a lot in my pregnsncy. I also read juju Sundins birth skills.

I had a reasonably fast first stage which was very managable. Until transition! There was no calm in that but I think that's pretty normal. I found the hypnobirthing helpful for my early labour (maybe up to 5-6cm) after that point I really needed active birth skills.

Goodluck! I had an amazing birth

5. The Following User Says Thank You to BlueLips For This Useful Post:

Mod-Nomsie  (25-06-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Blue Lips...what's active birthing skills?

Busy-Bee is offline Offending people since before Del :D
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Past Moderator - Thank you
    I think she's talking about getting up and moving about when in labour which is what I did as well. It's about trying to do what you feel is right for you to do whether it be standing up holding a wall and rocking your pelvis, just holding on to your partner or whatever the woman wants or feels is right or will help her the most during labour. Same with giving birth as well, you will instinctively know which position suits you best. It might be squatting, lying on your side, on all fours, standing and resting a leg on a stool etc.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Busy-Bee For This Useful Post:

Mod-Nomsie  (25-06-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    subbing for later ... I learnt hypnobirthing skills before #1 came along and had 3 very different labours since. I'll link up the stories later

Thanks
    Reviews
    Subbing for later too. I calmbirthed

Thanks
    Reviews
    I had a calm / hypnobirth, drug free, natural birth with my second.

I found though, that the methods in Birth Skills helped me more for pain management during labour before I went to hospital. I did hypnobirth for about 2 hours in hospital [I was there for 4 before my baby was born]. I had headphones in my iPhone which had my relaxation music and I swayed in the bed, and I honestly don't remember a single thing about those two hours, and my partner fell asleep during it because I was 'doing my own thing'. The rest of the time, I was in the bath, which was very calming.

I found stomping my feet and 'heel and toe' focus methods worked for me, as I couldn't sit down or lie down.

My 'birth mantra' was 'one less contraction until I meet my new soulmate' and I would chant this in my head to myself as I stomped or heel and toe'd. I found focusing on the words, and the action, got my mind off the discomfort of the contraction.

I also attended pregnancy yoga, and I used a lot of the yoga movements also during labour.

Good luck! Our bodies are made for this. oxoxo

12. The Following User Says Thank You to salamat For This Useful Post:

Mod-Nomsie  (25-06-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Thanks for this thread nomsie. I have been looking at ordering a hypnobirthing DVD/books. im concerned though that it won't be as effective as a class- which they don't have in my region.
    Love reading all the positive stories about fear free birthing

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by babybabycakes View Post
    Thanks for this thread nomsie. I have been looking at ordering a hypnobirthing DVD/books. im concerned though that it won't be as effective as a class- which they don't have in my region.
    Love reading all the positive stories about fear free birthing
    That was true for me. I did a class, and the Marie Mongan Hypnobirthing book is honestly, is not as 'easy reading' or enjoyable to read as Birth Skills was. But if you can get your hands on the CD too, it's helpful.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to salamat For This Useful Post:

babybabycakes  (25-06-2013)