+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Default Toddler party questions and ettiquete?

What's a good time for a party if im providing lunch? 11-2 or 12-3?? Is 3 hours long enough?

Do you provide alcohol for the parents or just soft drink and juice?

Would you have farm animals at beginning or the end of party? I have them for 1 hour. So before or after lunch?

There is an indoor playground and indoor cubby is this enough or would you hire a clown or something else?

Are lolly bags necessary as im not a fan can I give something else?

I have no idea. I think im over thinking it so can you experienced mums help?

Sent from my GT-I9505 using The Bub Hub mobile app

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Sounds like a great party!!!

BIL had farm animals at their dd's first birthday, they had them at the start and it worked really well- no stragglers rushing their lunch to get to the animals.

Personally I think you have enough without the clown, so unless you particularly want one save your $$.

I've been to several kids parties with alocohol and just as many without. I know somepeople can get a bit thingy about alcohol at kids parties, I don't personally see a problem.

3 hours would be plenty, often we just put a start time on invites if we are flexible with the time (this year its at a play cafe so needed to put a finish time) do the cake after a bit and some will leave early and some will stay beheind to tidy up!

I love lolly bags but you don't have to do one!

Another idea-We went to a party on the weekend where each of the kids got a small colouring book, crayons and a drink bottle and a few other novelty bits from ebay/cheap shop. All the kids loved it.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to F&A For This Useful Post:

LoCo  (24-06-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    I'd do 11-2 , DS went to a 3 yr old party yesterday which was 11-2 and it was a perfect time , they had a performer. ( tinker bell and Peter Pan) and the kids loved it - I think though if you are having animals you won't need a performer as well? They also had a giant cubby and loads of outdoor toys which for 3 year olds was perfect as all the boys wanted to do was run around and play - a lot of the 1-2 year olds would not sit still for the performers

You don't have to do lolly bags but I would give something as a thank you gift - the party yesterday they gave personalised cookies but we've been to
    Parties where we've been given books, small toys or the in thing at the moment seems to be lolly buffets where you fill up your own lolly bag on the way out!

We've always had alcohol at parties as we also invite a lot of adults plus as DS is only young all his little friends parents are friends of ours but no one ever goes over board or usually has more than 1 or 2
    Last edited by Elijahs Mum; 24-06-2013 at 17:33.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Elijahs Mum For This Useful Post:

LoCo  (24-06-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Another cheap & relatively easy form of entertainment is a craft activity. I buy paper cut outs, glitter, glue sticks, textas & foam stickers & let them create at their leisure! If it's not raining a small table on a tarp outside makes for easy clean up too!

7. The Following User Says Thank You to MyPossum For This Useful Post:

LoCo  (24-06-2013)

Mod-Nomsie is offline Administrator
    Winner 2009/10/11/12/13 - Most helpful Moderator
    Winner 2011 - Naughtiest/Cheekiest Mod
    Winner - Quickest 'Thanker' on the Hub
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    200 Posts in a week100 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 15/1/15
    What's a good time for a party if im providing lunch? 11-2 or 12-3?? Is 3 hours long enough?
    3 Hours is plenty! I think 11-2, since a lot of toddlers still have afternoon naps.

Do you provide alcohol for the parents or just soft drink and juice?
    Personal choice. We have never, and never intend to, provide alcohol at our children's parties- only because it's for our children, and we don't feel the need to drink. We've been to other parties where they have, and that is ok too. I would never turn up to a child's party *expecting* alcohol, though. I've always just bought primas and/or a slab of soft drink cans and put them in an esky with ice so people can help themselves.

Would you have farm animals at beginning or the end of party? I have them for 1 hour. So before or after lunch?
    I like the previous suggestion and reason for before lunch, but then I also worry about some not washing hands before they eat. I would have said after lunch, so now I'm torn lol.

There is an indoor playground and indoor cubby is this enough or would you hire a clown or something else?

I don't think you would need a clown-but perhaps take some balls to kick or throw as well?

Are lolly bags necessary as im not a fan can I give something else?
    I love lolly bags but I'm a sugar-fan Go to your local cheap shop- they will have heaps of inexpensive things that you can put into a thank-you gift.

I have no idea. I think im over thinking it so can you experienced mums help?

Keep it simple so you enjoy your day! You don't want to be running around organising everything and everyone all day- you need to enjoy yourself too. My parties are nearly always BBQ's because I can get DP to help out. Starter food is just platters with cheeses, dips, veg sticks, biscuits, crackers, fruit etc. Lunch is a good old barbie with sausages or burgers, some salad made by family and then dessert is the cake. Easy, peasy!

Have fun!

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Mod-Nomsie For This Useful Post:

LoCo  (24-06-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    We are having DD's 3rd birthday party this weekend. It is 11:30-2:30. We aren't having entertainers or anything but I will do a game of pass the parcel! I'm providing soft drinks, juice & water. Lolly bags for the kids but they only have a little bit of sugar, I found little pencils in cute tins, small notebooks and small playdoughs to fill them with instead. I'm giving the adults each a furry friend in a custom chocolate wrapper that I've wrapped around them.
    I have a few questions of my own that I may be back to ask lol

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Just*Ace For This Useful Post:

LoCo  (24-06-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Everyone else has given some good suggestions, but in lieu of lolly bags, when my DD had her first birthday a couple of years ago, we bought those long, bubble sticks you can buy at Big W for a dollar each and got various coloured ones and made a little tag with thank you for coming etc on it. The bubble sticks were a huge hit and not one child noticed there were no lolly bags.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Mod-Uniquey For This Useful Post:

LoCo  (24-06-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Sorry OP I don't mean to be a pain but I'm also in the process of organising DS's 3'rd bday party and all the toddlers normally nap between 11-2 ish...? So I'm having either a morning or afternoon party for him and tbh I would be a tad annoyed if he got invited to a party in the middle of the day as I know it's his nap time and he'd be tired... It's not so much of a big deal though but just saying. It sounds like a fun party!

15. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to eMBe For This Useful Post:

Ashram  (25-06-2013),LoCo  (24-06-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by eMBe View Post
    Sorry OP I don't mean to be a pain but I'm also in the process of organising DS's 3'rd bday party and all the toddlers normally nap between 11-2 ish...? So I'm having either a morning or afternoon party for him and tbh I would be a tad annoyed if he got invited to a party in the middle of the day as I know it's his nap time and he'd be tired... It's not so much of a big deal though but just saying. It sounds like a fun party!
    It shows just how different 3 years olds are lol my DD's 3rd birthday party is 11:30-2:30, there is about 5 other 3 year olds coming and none of them nap! I have found with birthday parties they are usually so excited that they don't get too tired! I wish my DD would still nap lol

17. The Following User Says Thank You to Just*Ace For This Useful Post:

LoCo  (24-06-2013)

lambjam is offline Nitwit! Blubber! Oddment! Tweak!
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Three hours seems a very long time to me. For smaller children I stick to one and a half hours, once they're 6 or 7 I bump that up to two hours. Three would be my definition of hell!

19. The Following User Says Thank You to lambjam For This Useful Post:

LoCo  (24-06-2013)