+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I would be upset, but would also be inclined to ring and say something along the lines of "oh I'm so sorry you can't come to Dad's funeral" ten she might be inclined to tell you why, could be a work related issue, or the cost of traveling, does she have children - care for them could be a problem. Various reasons, I'd try and keep the lines of communication open.

So sorry for your loss

Thanks
    Reviews
    Sorry for you loss OP.
    I'd be very upset. I'd shoot back an email explaining that you're disappointed as she hasn't given you any sort of reason as to why she couldn't be there to support you and that you're also upset she felt the need to tell you in an email.

ETA When my BF lost her dad 2 years ago I took the day off work (was casual so lost pay) and my 2 year old twins came because I couldn't get a babysitter. I travelled 3.5 hours and stood at the back of the church because the twins were restless.
    I still made it.
    Last edited by MrsOhara; 25-06-2013 at 08:52.

3. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to MrsOhara For This Useful Post:

Pesca77  (25-06-2013),SimpsonDesert  (25-06-2013),Turk EnJayDee  (25-06-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    What I don't get is why she didn't provide a reason in the first place as a way of explanation, if you guys are truly BFF. Especially when she sent an email in the first place, would have been easy to then state why. BFF's are supposed to be open and honest with each other.

5. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Pesca77 For This Useful Post:

bitterpure  (25-06-2013),SimpsonDesert  (25-06-2013),Turk EnJayDee  (25-06-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I'm so sorry for your loss

To be honest, I wouldn't expect my BFF to attend my dad's funeral, and it wouldn't occur to me to attend my BFF's Dad's funeral. To me, a funeral is for family and close people who really knew the deceased, not for a whole crowd, if that makes sense. I appreciate that others feel differently, but perhaps your BFF just feels the same way as I do and doesn't understand how much you would like her to be there?

Big hugs

7. The Following User Says Thank You to shelle65 For This Useful Post:

AdornedWithCats  (25-06-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    I would be offended if my best friend didn't offer a reason. I understand that sometimes you honestly just can't get to a funeral - but to not offer a reason is a bit hurtful.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I would be offended. My two besties and their husbands all attended my grandmothers funerals. They where there to support me & I cherish them for that & would do the same for them.

SuperGranny is offline Worlds best grandma! Winner 2012 - Most Helpful Member
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    this thread has made me think. I have a bff, and we have been friends since childhood. Her father passed away a couple of years ago, and I didnt get to the funeral. It was two hours drive, and I was not confident I would find my way there. If my husband had been able to get away from work, we would have both been there. I feel bad about it now, but I know it hasnt made any difference to our friendship. I agree you have valid reasons to feel hurt and I think an email was the wrong way to communicate, but strong friendships are strong because nothing can take it away. Sorry for your loss, and I hope your bff does offer an apology. Marie.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thank you...i have to add this....my bff was going to come down on the weekend to stay help me out etc etc...i thought ok thats nice..now i get another email saying she wont come now cos she got a bad "vibe" and dreamt about a car accident.....honestly im fed up with the BS! I'll get over it but im not in the mood for such garbage right now.....

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by topaz00 View Post
    Thank you...i have to add this....my bff was going to come down on the weekend to stay help me out etc etc...i thought ok thats nice..now i get another email saying she wont come now cos she got a bad "vibe" and dreamt about a car accident.....honestly im fed up with the BS! I'll get over it but im not in the mood for such garbage right now.....
    Firstly, my condolences op.. I think your BFF is being rude. Sometimes simply we get to truly see other people's real colours when there is a tragedy, birth, you've won something big etc.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hugs to you OP. Losing a parent is so devastating and your BFF really should make time to be supportive. If she can't attend the funeral, she should at least do something to show you she truly cares and is there for you in other ways. Sending those emails just doesn't it cut I'm sorry. I would be so upset and hurt by such a poor effort on her part.

When my Mum died 4 yrs ago, my BFF was at the funeral and she cleaned up my house after we held the wake there. Two other close friends each came from Coffs Harbour and Perth (to Syd), and another close friend in Dubai called me as soon as she heard the news.

I'm really sorry you've been let down in your time of sorrow . I hope she comes back to you with a heartfelt apology, a reason for her absence, and some gesture of kindness. And if not, then I hope you have others in your life who'll show you what real friends do when tragedy strikes.