+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Sorry for your loss x.

When my father passed away my besties did not attend the funeral, they had their own things going on and I understand and respect that. Sure it would have been nice to have them there but it wasnt the end of the world. I didn't think they were being rude and I wasn't offended.

They still provide me with a mountain of support and give me a shoulder to cry on to this day, that means more to me than attending the funeral.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I think its valid for you to be upset about it. Shes your best friend, its your parent, naturally you would like her support during this difficult time for you. And clearly you'd do the same for her (and have). Any human would understand that.

I find the email to be a bit rude tbh. Couldnt she have called you?

I'm sorry for your loss.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by butterfly2013 View Post
    Im so sorry for you loss. I lost my Mum in January and I miss her so much.

I would be upset but there may be an emotional reason for it. Something I figured out when losing Mum was that everyone handles death differently and some people are actually petrified of being around someone who is grieving because they really dont know how they should act. She should be there to support you but maybe she just doesnt know how to. She might feel if she opens up to you about it that you will think it shouldn't be about her and it should be about you. I agree she should be there for you to lean on and you should be annoyed but there might be something further going on there that you are not aware of. X
    I agree with this. She may not cope with death/grieving well and not feel comfortable attending. And I think that's ok. That may also explain the email - maybe she doesn't have the words to explain her non attendance in a way that could be justified by someone grieving?

I've dealt with a lot of death, and have attend funerals as a sign of respect. But these days, I honestly feel that those affected should be privided the privacy to deal with a death & therefore wouldnt necessarily attend. If I was your BFF, I would certainly make plans to visit you ASAP to show support that way though.

So sorry for your loss, stay strong.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Pushie Parent View Post
    Sorry for your loss x.

When my father passed away my besties did not attend the funeral, they had their own things going on and I understand and respect that. Sure it would have been nice to have them there but it wasnt the end of the world. I didn't think they were being rude and I wasn't offended.

They still provide me with a mountain of support and give me a shoulder to cry on to this day, that means more to me than attending the funeral.
    good points

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I think I would attempt to attend the funeral of a close friends parent. Just out of respect . And if I got an email from my BFF saying she couldn't go , yeah I would be really annoyed. How impersonal is an email. Yeah I would be really crabby.

Some people are just selfish.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Very sorry for your loss.

Unless I knew my BFF had a good reason, yes I'd be upset and offended. I'd do the same for her and would throw a sickie if I had to for the time off. It's about support and respect for me.

I wouldn't however do it, or expect it back, for just normal/close friends. It's something I'd only genuinely expect from a BFF.

ETA - I'd also be quite annoyed at the impersonal email. A true BFF should at least call about something so serious.

Thanks
    Reviews
    What a hard time for you, losing a parent is a huge thing, but I wouldn't be offended or upset.
    Just talk to her and tell her how you feel and accept her reasons for not attending whatever they are, don't lose your BFF as well

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Yes !
    ( my BFF was living in USA when my mum died .. She couldn't come .. But i went to her a month later )... Friends are so important at this time .. So sorry about your dad .

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    It wouldn't upset me. As you said she works full-time so likely can't get the time off. You can't take bereavement leave for that and annual leave is so precious and she might not have any anyway.

I am sorry it's upsetting you though at an already very difficult time. I would prob chat to her about it - you will likely find out more details which make it hard for her to come (does she have kids?).

xx

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    I think I would be. I can't imagine what you're going through. sorry for your loss!

Sent from my GT-I9300 using The Bub Hub mobile app