+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Qld Health employee and under special category visa (NZ)

Hi everyone,

I'm 30 and in Brisbane. :-)
    Have just joined the forum today. very excited. Hubby and I are planning to start a family this year. *squee* been waiting for the day since i was about 17. I had not realised that i would be entitled to maternity leave paid. So we had been waiting a little longer.

I would like some advice from someone in my position.

I am employed by QLD health. Work shifts in a hospital. I am a permanent employee contracted to a ward. i work 0.8FTE and get sort of $60,000 - $68,000 ish a year

I believe we get 12- 14 weeks paid leave. ( Could be wrong)

Then i head about PPL being ONTOP of work maternity leave. That seems far too generous. (Fantastic if it is true)

I am a NZ citizen. been here over 10 years. Over on a Special category Visa. I arrived AFTER the 2001 cut of date (by 4 months) therefore i am not eligible for a lot of govt assistance. I have worked my time here, so never needed it. My Husband is an Aussie citizen and we are going to raise our family here.

My husband is studying. Part time job about $12000 a year pre tax

i am very confused as to what leave i am allowed. I "in my head" heard 6 months full pay or 12 months 1/2 pay. Obviously this is incorrect.

Any QLD nurses be able to tell me what they did? That would be fantastic.

I don't want to ask at work as i have applied for a new position. I don't want them to think i am "leaving". As i have been on the Pill for 15 years, I might have problems concieving. (might not either) Just don't want to tell till i am that 3 month mark.

Thanks everyone

Regards

Sarah

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Call HR, all calls are anonymous. I get the same entitlements at M ater. I feel pretty lucky to get both, plus I'm saving up my annual leave.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Ngaiz For This Useful Post:

Evenstar  (24-06-2013)

MrJones&Me is offline sometimes as useless as the 'ueue' in queue
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    As an employee of Qhealth you get 14 weeks at full pay or 28 weeks at half pay, you can also take rec leave/RDOs/LSL after your period of paid maternity leave and before the period of unpaid
    Last edited by MrJones&Me; 24-06-2013 at 12:49.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to MrJones&Me For This Useful Post:

Evenstar  (24-06-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    https://www.facebook.com/OzKiwi2001?fref=ts

This is the most accurate source of information for NP-SCV holders I've found (more reliable than the government websites). Message the page and ask, they are very helpful.

You will qualify for PPL.

I would also recommend applying for Permanent Residency through your spouse, as an insurance for yourself. It's about 4k, but well worth it IMO.

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BlissedOut For This Useful Post:

Evenstar  (24-06-2013),Stiflers Mom  (24-06-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi, I have been meaning to do the Permanent residency, but have had a few set backs that have wiped savings. Now savings are for baby not for residency. But you are right it would be a great plan and one i want to do. This is my home now.

Things will be great in 2015 when my husband qualifies as a Doctor. The pressure will come off. Just till then, every little thing will count. I have a year and a 1/2 to look out for.

I am thinking that with my QLD maternity leave at 14 weeks paid, plus a few weeks annual leave. I think this is sounding like i might also qualify for the PPL??

I know this is much below my salary, but it would certainly help me to stay at home and look after baby for that little bit longer. before i can go back to work.

I was planning on aiming (fertility willing) for a baby born this time next year (2014) which would leave me 6-8 months of funding to find. We have some savings. I have some annual leave. NO long service leave. 14 weeks QLD paid maternity leave and them perhaps some PPL... I think this is what it is sounding like.

If so then i am very happy. WAY more than i was expecting. I assumed that even though hubby is Australian, i would not qualify for the aussie PPL.

sounding promising!!

thanks guys