+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    LifeInShadesOfGrey is offline Just a little bit silly :)
    Winner 2012 - Best Username
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Default Tattoos and Workplaces

The other tattoo thread got me thinking. I want a number of tattoos, I have none (so I might get 1 and not want anymore lol, but I doubt that ).

I want to see, for those with tattoos in the areas of fore arm, wrist, hand. Have you found any issues with working or obtaining work because of a tattoo in that area?

One that I want is on my wrist, but not the underside of my wrist. I have always wanted one on the side of my wrist running from inline with my thumb, across my wrist to my arm. Not big but it would be basically impossible to hide.

Thanks

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Only one of mine is visible if I wear my hair up but I intend to get more that will be harder to hide.

Even though they are becoming more acceptable, as a socity we're still a long way off from being able to obtain a job without some form of discrimination so I have decided to leave the less discreet ones until I am in my chosen career and can make an assessment from that.

I'd get your first in a place that is easy to cover up and see if you really do like it and still want more. After all, it's easier to get a new tattoo down the track than to remove one.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to atomicmama For This Useful Post:

LifeInShadesOfGrey  (24-06-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks so much perfect advice!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I've never had a problem but I work in hospitality, I imagine it could be different in other fields. I've always lived and worked in areas where tattoos are very normal also.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to GreenMama For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I've never had a problem getting a job because of my tattoos. All of my interview shirts have long or 3/4 length sleeves.
    I did have problems with one manager after but that was only part of what he didn't like about me. He also didn't like when he found out I'm a lesbian.
    It was okay for guys at this workplace to have visible tattoos but he looked down on me when he found out I had some

8. The Following User Says Thank You to KnockKnockPenny For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    I have 7 tattoos, I have one on each wrist but underside. Never had a problem getting work, and that was in the customer service and finance industry.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Glamazon For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    I have one on the underside of my wrist and my DH has a full sleeve amongst many other tattoos. He is a manager in an office environment dealing with legal and the courts and has never been an issue for either of us. I am in management too and most people haven't even noticed mine and I don't cover it either.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to FUSSY For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    I'm a govt employee and it's never been an issue. There are people employed by the same agency with far more tattoos than me, and many much more visible- my most visible is a big one on my arm- and again, no issues. The only place I was ever asked to cover up was when I worked in a retirement complex- it was a very conservative environment in a very wealthy area for very wealthy retirees. I don't think the residents cared at all- it was a company policy at the time.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Atropos For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Maybe I am old school and when I was getting tattoos it was really frowned upon.

As such I have always had tatts that I can cover up.

I haven't had a problem getting work in my industry but I would say it would have been frowned upon to have big visible tattoos. There is still a stigma with tattoos....as one pp said I still there we are a long way off from total acceptance of tatts in all workplace.

I got my first tatt when I was 18 and I am 41 now. I am glad that I can cover them up when I want to and have them on display when I choose.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to FluffyDucks For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks so much everyone! I've spent my whole career working in the transport and construction industries in admin/accounts and as ops manager. I don't see there being an issue there (except maybe seeing clients).

At the moment I am at home with DD I just wonder for when the time comes for me to return to work (new job). I would like to stay in similar industries to what I am used too but wouldn't hesitate to apply for a good job if I found one. I suppose I could always ask what their policy is?