+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Pain relief / support people issues

Hi lovely lady's ..... I'm 6months pregnant and my husband and I have been told to start considering weather or not pain relief will be used ! I'm not sure what in earth to do as I'm not to keen on having needles in my back just the thought of it makes me nervous ! But if I do get one do you loose all sensation in your legs and is it mandatory to have a cathader ? If so how long until it gets removed because last thing I want is having visitors and them seeing the catheder bag , what are your recommendations and experience when choosing pain relief ? , my 2nd dilemma is the question of who's going to be in the room whilst I'm in labor and giving birth , I've been thinking about it alot and I would love for it to just be my husband and I but I don't want to offend anyone especially my mum , I love her to bits but don't want her to see me in so much pain but I don't want to offend her ?! And if I did decide to allow my mum in how can I handle my mother inlaw because I don't want her their at all because I just find it awkward ?!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the WeekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 5/2/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 31/10/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 24/10/14Busiest Member of the Week
    It very normal just to have your dh. If you do want your mum as extra support that is ok too. Please don't feel you have to have your mum or mil there. Most hospital won't allow three support people anyhow.

As for pain relief, I am like you the thought of a needle in back scares the living daylights out of me. I had 6 kids most of them with a little gas. I find heat pack and the shower fantastic for pain relief. Lots of women have no pain relief at all. there lots of options, do some research into which one would suit you,

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I was very worried about having an epidural but knew that I wanted that over other options. .. just the way I decided to deal with things. Getting the needle in my back was not that bad at all. I was nervous about sitting still but otherwise it was not at all as bad as I had imagined. Same for the catheter. I had one. ..never had one before. Bub was born in the evening...catheter stayed in overnight til morning. Funny thing is that I was kind of relieved not to be running to the loo every five minutes. Yes I did sort of loose feeling in my legs. . they kind of went like when your foot goes to sleep. . you know they are there. . it feels weird but is huge relief not to be in pain.

As for support people. ..I think that's totally up to you. . you are giving birth. . is your body. And you should have whoever makes you feel comfortable. I wouldn't have people there just to be fair if you know what I mean. And usually the bond with your own mum is far greater and special than with your mil. Anyone who is sensible will understand your boundaries.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I was terrified of needles in the back but had two epidurals... And it wasnt bad or scary at all! They can give u gas to calm u whilst u get it done too. I am pretty sure catheters are mandatory and come out once u can get up and about. After a n episiotomy with my first I had it for 2 days after... With my second I had a third degree tear and had the catheter for 3 days... I couldn't get out of bed so it was a blessing to not have to .

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I went into it thinking I wanted to avoid the epi at all costs but in the end I got one. I was slow to progress and exhausted from the pain so it was a huge relief for me (and got my labour going!). I did have a catheter and have no idea when it came out, I got up and showered about an hour after DD was born and it was gone by then. I had an episiotomy (forceps delivery) but was feeling pretty good and up and about quickly. As for the legs thing, I was so exhausted by the time I had the epi that I just wanted to lie down anyway so didn't really notice too much except the sweet relief! I could still move them though.

I think the best approach is to make sure you're well informed about all the options beforehand and go in with an open mind. It's great to have a plan and an ideal picture in your mind as it'll help motivate you through the pain, but be flexible enough to know when to adjust the plan. You just don't know how you'll go or what'll happen until you're going through it.

As for support people, labour and birth is such a personal thing and incredibly intimate so the most important thing is that you're comfortable and properly supported. Don't have people there because you feel that they want to be and therefore should be. If you do want your mum, go for it, there's absolutely no reason why your MIL should even get an opinion on the matter.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    You need to do what makes you most comfortable during labour. If you don't feel like having your mum there, don't. If you don't want to offend her, tell her that the hospital policy is that you can only have 1 support person. The LAST thing you need during labour is to feel uncomfortable or worried about how your mum is feeling about seeing you in pain. You need to get through each and every contraction with a clear head.

As for pain relief, the only thing you can do is wait and see. I was set on avoiding an epidural. I got to 7cm with a nice, hot bath and gas. Once I got to 7cm, I stopped dilating because my sons head was in the wrong position and I couldn't relax. I was in so much pain so I had an epidural an hour later.

Did the injection hurt? Nope. It was just a tiny pinch.

How Long did it take to kick in? Only a few minutes.

What does it feel like? Nothing lol My legs were completely numb. It was a weird feeling. I remember slapping my legs and feeling nothing. Weird feeling.

When did they remove the catheter? About an hour after giving birth to DS. It took 3 seconds and there was no pain whatsoever. I was pleasantly surprised.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I was so scared of having an epi or a c/s, I ended up with both!

I didn't even feel the epi, I was using the gas and a local was given before the epi.

For my first DD, I told my family that only my DH was allowed at the hospital until the baby was born. I didn't want to be stressing about a waiting room full of people who I know would be trying to sneak in.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I was scared of needles in my back too although I would consider it next time. I used gas and then had morphine. After an episiotomy and 2nd degree tear I ended up with a catheter for a couple of days anyway but it wasn't that bad

Thanks
    Reviews
    I had my catheter in for 24 hours. The nurses had the bag hidden by a blanket or something, it wasn't just hanging out for the world to see

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks very much for all you opinions I really appreciate it I'm waiting for my husband to get home from work ( the joys of being married to a paramedic who's on the 12hr shift lol ) and once he gets home were going to have a chat about who's going to be their ! He's so supportive and understands my concerns and has told my mil not to make me feel pressured as the last thing I need is to be uncomfortable ! Thanks also for the pain management information even tho he's a paramedic and knows what options we have and how they work , I always find its better to get advice from other mothers who have experienced it thanks so much lady's x