+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Psychologist consult at QFG (or any fertility clinic)

Hi,
    So with the fertility clinic we are going through we have to have a session with a psychologist and one of the nurses at the clinic said to us it will go for about an hour and be 'pretty intense'.

I assume they have this for anyone who is using donor sperm and questions will cover 'what will you tell your child when it wants to know where it comes from' 'are your family supportive etc' but what other questions get asked.

My partner and I tend to get verbal diarrhea when we're nervous so don't want to say anything that would hinder the process (not that we really have anything to hide or be worried about).

I'm just wondering if anyone has has this appointment before and what sort of questions will you get asked?

Thanks for your time!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    We had this appointment :-)
    We got the guy psych. He's more of a 'tick n flick' guy. He talked and told us some stuff and we didn't really discuss anything. Apparently the female psych is more intense.
    The only question he asked was whether we had told family about TTC. I think our appointment took a maximum of 20mins.
    I wouldn't worry too much about it, its pretty relaxed :-)

3. The Following User Says Thank You to KnockKnockPenny For This Useful Post:

twomummas  (23-06-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Ok thanks for that!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    We also had the same thing through the clinic we are using here in Sydney. It's okay, we were nervous too but they just ask about things like you mentioned to see if you are on the same page as each other. They also asked us about who would carry, how we came to that decision, how we would feel should the child want to contact the donor when they are 18 and if we would register on the sibling website so they could potentially contact half siblings down the track. She also asked about our family and medical background she did say at the start that she did have to sign her consent but not to be concerned about giving "right" or "wrong" answers. Just answer honestly and from your heart you will be fine!!

Two girls, one dream and baby you are it!

6. The Following User Says Thank You to rainbowbabe For This Useful Post:

twomummas  (26-06-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks rainbow babe. Very informative and I didn't even know there was a sibling register! So interesting!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    We didn't either but there's an international database where you can register children under the donor ID and any other children under the same donor ID are listed. I feel like I have learnt so much but probably still only know 5% of what there is to know!

Two girls, one dream and baby you are it!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thought I'd just quickly update you that our psych session went fine.

We had Michael at QFG and he did most of the talking. Explained to us the different stages children and teens may go through as they realise their family is a little different to others.

He spoke about referring to the donor as donor and not father or dad which is fine because that's what we already planned to do as we're more comfortable with that.

Other than that not a lot else to report. We didn't get asked a lot.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Twomummas, in using QFG, also had the guy psych. Very much the samething. Also spoke about how to explai it to young nieces and nephews and that boys and girls process information differently, and at different ages. We were both nervous about goin too, but afterwards, we were really thankful for his time.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to CandE For This Useful Post:

twomummas  (11-08-2013)