+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Awards:
    Past Moderator - Thank you
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by risfaerie View Post
    I actually did do this over the weekend, and took DD on a movie date. We really enjoyed it, it was a pleasant break for her I think! I was just saying to DH that we need to do it with her more often.

Sent from my GT-N8010 using The Bub Hub mobile app
    I have a nearly 7 year old, a 5 year old and super clingy, velcro, koala baby 19 month old and it can be very hard finding balance. I often feel like my big kids miss out sometimes but having DH have koala boy definitely helps - even if I just take the big kids for a bike ride or we do some baking or craft.

Mumming is hard sometimes.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to misskittyfantastico For This Useful Post:

risfaerie  (23-06-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    There are several things you can start to do, but sometimes a clingy child simply needs their mum.

Distraction - start with short distractions, like sending him to the bedroom to put away or get *said* toy and then, getting down to his level quietly congratulate him - from this he learns that it's safe to leave AND come back to you. Build up the length of time and /or the number of distractions.

Build his confidence and encourage quiet time NEXT to you, then slightly further away but within reach until he can occupy himself within his view of you.

Have a 'date' with your DD when someone else looks after him.

There's a time for loud, boisterous play, like at the park or in the yard. Encourage active play and start to teach him shared active play (the precursor to team sports) where you do things like taking turns and also kick-to-kick.

It will not be easy as some kids have a need to be held and hugged by their parents - it's NOT being naughty.

Good luck.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    I have similar thing happen with my kids. Katelyn will be totally fine, then jasper sits in my lap to show me something or cuddle or chat and she'll crack it and try to fight him for her spot in my lap.

It's hard. I don't know what to do really either. I try joking with jasper to diffuse it a bit because he gets hurt emotionally that she's not nice to him (she's 15 months) or sometimes she's tired so I do need to say to him that I'll settle her to sleep and then give him some time, and sometimes I do have to just let her tantrum and give him a cuddle, so he knows that he's still just as precious to me as she is.

They are so good with each other so much of the time I really can't complain, it's getting to the stage where two is "easier" because they do play together quite a bit. But it is confronting having them fighting for me, particularly when mine bonk heads occasionally too. I need more arms.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using The Bub Hub mobile app

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I think you are expecting way too much from your youngest.

Use nap times for special time with dd or weekends like you did today...best for everyone

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by River Song View Post
    I think you are expecting way too much from your youngest.

Use nap times for special time with dd or weekends like you did today...best for everyone
    Maybe I am expecting too much. DD goes to school next year, I feel guilty that her memories of her last year at home will be of me either juggling DS while trying to pay her attention, or of me using my super-ninja reflexes to catch a falling breakable item mid topple while trying to pay her attention!

I need more arms too! If I had 4, this parenting gig would be way easier!

Sent from my GT-N8010 using The Bub Hub mobile app

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    My DS is exactly the same, though my older two are 9 and 7, so understand a lot more. I think it is mostly an age thing. I just try to include my lo in what we are doing, and save truly one on one things for naptime. It gets better as they understand that mum can be shared

Sent from my HUAWEI-U8850 using The Bub Hub mobile app

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Kaybaby For This Useful Post:

risfaerie  (24-06-2013)