Closed Thread
Page 89 of 93 FirstFirst ... 39798788899091 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Sareeb I hope it was a little too early for a HPT and you still get your BFP Wednesday.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Wishnhope For This Useful Post:

Sareeb77  (24-07-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    There is definitely mixed thoughts about 3d vs 5d and all clinics do different things for different reasons.

I went to an IVF seminar and was told that at 3d the embryo would still be in the Fallopian tube whereas by 5d it would be in the uterus so again 2 different environments (fluids are different) and that at day 3 it has to hopefully hang in there for another 2 days until it'd be in the uterus.

But whatever your clinic recommends is what you should do I guess!

4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Jb2011 For This Useful Post:

MGC Bertie  (23-07-2013),samlow  (23-07-2013),Wishnhope  (23-07-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    There's so much debate regarding 3d vs 5d transfers and many articles to support both sides of the story. My clinic does both, but I had a 3 day transfer as I only had 2 fertilized embies.

They say that even though technically a 3d would still be in the fallopian tubes, the womb is still a better environment for it to be in than in the lab and sometimes perfectly good embies which would have progressed to a pregnancy at 3d succumb outside of the body when they try to grow them longer.

Personally I would have preferred knowing my embie got to blastocyst stage for sure, but I've still got a good chance rather than the prospect of none at all. Also I was told that even in natural pregnancies sometimes the egg gets fertilized further down the tube (say if you dtd after ovulation) so they're only day 3 when they enter the womb, and still a successful pregnancy comes out of it.

I guess the best course of action is to go with whatever your clinic recommends, and if it's not successful you could try changing the approach on another cycle?

6. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Arlais For This Useful Post:

Jb2011  (23-07-2013),samlow  (23-07-2013),Wishnhope  (23-07-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Here is some info about 3 and 5 day transfers from another thread:

I really hope the twinges I felt on 2dpt5dt and 3dpt5dt were the blasty attaching and nestling in nicely... one more sleep until my BT!

3 Day and 5 Day Transfers
    For those who are on their TWW and want to know what is going on in there here is a list for 3 and 5 day transfers.

This is what happens in a 5dt:

-1dpt ..embryoCea is growing and developing
    0dpt... Embryo is now a blastocyst
    1dpt....Blastocyst hatches out of shell on this day
    2dpt.. Blastocyst attaches to a site on the uterine lining
    3dpt.. Implantation begins,as the blastocyst begins to bury in the lining
    4dpt.. Implantation process continues and morula buries deeper in the lining
    5dpt.. Morula is completely implanted in the lining and has placenta cells & fetal cells
    6dpt...Placenta cells begin to secret HCG in the blood
    7dpt...More HCG is produced as fetus develops
    8dpt...More HCG is produced as fetus develops
    9dpt...HCG levels are now high enough to be immediately detected on HPT

this is what happens in a 3dt :

1dpt ..embryo is growing and developing
    2dpt... Embryo is now a blastocyst
    3dpt....Blastocyst hatches out of shell on this day
    4dpt.. Blastocyst attaches to a site on the uterine lining
    5dpt.. Implantation begins as the blastocyst begins to bury in the lining
    6dpt.. Implantation process continues and morula buries deeper in the lining
    7dpt.. Morula is completely implanted in the lining and has placenta cells &
    fetal cells
    8dpt...Placenta cells begin to secrete in the blood
    9dpt...More HCG is produced as fetus develops
    10dpt...More HCG is produced as fetus develops
    11dpt...HCG levels are now high enough to be immediately detected on
    HPT

8. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Jb2011 For This Useful Post:

Emzy5  (23-07-2013),MGC Bertie  (23-07-2013),samlow  (23-07-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks Guys... Yeah thats what I sorta thought JB - D5 is when embie is usually in uterus! And I agree with Arlais, I kinda wanna know the blastie has made it b4 its put back... Last time I only had 2 embies at D3 so they put the better looking one back but the other one didnt make it to D5 to be frozen (my clinic wait to D5 to freeze).. Ended in a BFN so cant help but think it didnt make it to blastie either....

Oh well, I will just wait and see.. 9 good ones d1 afte EPU so fingers crossed we have some good ones to choose from to put back! ET Thurs or Sat... BT 6th Aug!

Good luck with your BT tomorrow JB... Will be thinking of you! xxx

10. The Following User Says Thank You to samlow For This Useful Post:

MGC Bertie  (23-07-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Fingerscrossd11 View Post
    Sam,

We are going through the "rainbow clinic" (our nickname) Fertility First @ Hurstville.
    We had no problem when we suggested it. We have friends who have done it in the past.

Basically FF see us as a couple, then sees me as the donor and DP as the recipient of the embryos which by that time I am the partner again. lol

Really, they can't stop you. You two are partners and as such its not a surrogacy thing at all. Not that donor eggs are a surrogacy thing but some FS out there look at it (donor eggs) in the wrong way.

Send any questions my way, am happy to answer.

As for Day 3 v Day 5. Our clinic mainly only does Day 3. Our FS is up to date with all processes out there for IVF etc and she believes that your body is the better incubator for the embryo hence the day 3 transfers more than them sitting in a dish till Day 5. Not saying you can't request Day 5 at our clinic.
    Thanks Fingerscrossed! I have heard a lot about this clinic and how same sex friendly they are! We have 3 try's with our chosen donor sperm b4 having to go back on a waiting list, so if we dont conceive this time or next we might have to take a trip to sydney!

Are you using donor sperm?
    I think the main concerns our FS had were related to using the donated sperm with my eggs then effectively re-donating that sperm (fertilised) to DP which is apparently not allowed.. We only had a 2min convo about it and it was put in the 'too hard' basket!

But on the other hand the donor co-ordinators have reserved the same sperm donor for DP should we want to have related siblings in the future if she carries! So I dont see the difference really! DP just doesnt want to have to go through IVF if she doesnt have to...

Thanks
    Reviews
    Friends who conceived with donor sperm and IUI, recently had her DP do a cycle and her eggs were fertlised with the same donor's sperm and frozen for when my friend is ready to try again. That's basically exactly what your FS was telling you is not allowed. I think your FS is not used to the whole concept and as you said, just wants to put it in the two hard basket.

Yes we are using donor sperm, there is no waiting list here and majority of the donors are from USA.

Quote Originally Posted by samlow View Post
    Thanks Fingerscrossed! I have heard a lot about this clinic and how same sex friendly they are! We have 3 try's with our chosen donor sperm b4 having to go back on a waiting list, so if we dont conceive this time or next we might have to take a trip to sydney!

Are you using donor sperm?
    I think the main concerns our FS had were related to using the donated sperm with my eggs then effectively re-donating that sperm (fertilised) to DP which is apparently not allowed.. We only had a 2min convo about it and it was put in the 'too hard' basket!

But on the other hand the donor co-ordinators have reserved the same sperm donor for DP should we want to have related siblings in the future if she carries! So I dont see the difference really! DP just doesnt want to have to go through IVF if she doesnt have to...

Thanks
    Reviews
    JB2011... someone posted that same information a long time ago on another thread, and it has become one of the most valuable pieces of information for me ever!! Thanks for re-sharing it with others who probably haven't seen it before.

Samlow.... I already replied to you on another thread, re: 3dt vs 5dt, so much of what I was going to say, has already been said here, but here's my experience....

My FS at IVFA actually prefers day 3 transfers, but I absolutely insisted that they grow them out to 5 days. I had previously a 2dt and a 3dt and both were BFNs, but I couldn't tell from that where the problem was. So I said, from now on I would only do day 5 transfers, even if there was only one embie. On my 4th cycle, the embie grew fine to day 3, but that's where it stopped. If I had had a day 3 transfer I would never have known if it was the embie growing or an implantation problem. This time I had 4 embies - on day 3 I had two 8 cell embies - by day 5 one grew perfectly and the other one was lagging behind. If I had transferred one at Day 3, who knows if I would have got the better one? I read somewhere that the stats for a pregnancy with a day 5 transfer is higher than day 3, as you've already weeded out the ones that weren't going to make it.

Some clinics don't like Day 5 transfers as it is more nervous for them - they aren't confident with growing them to day 5, or like to have better transfer statistics, as some don't make transfer on day 5 (like my fourth cycle). And yes, other clinics say it's better to get the embie back into its natural environment, so prefer day 3, but if you read up about it, on day 3 in a natural pregnancy the embie would still be in the fallopian tubes, where as it doesn't actually get to the uterus until day 4-5, so that's another reason for day 5.

Hope we're helping, and not making it more confusing :-))
    Last edited by MGC Bertie; 23-07-2013 at 16:52.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to MGC Bertie For This Useful Post:

Emzy5  (23-07-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Speaking of 3 v 5 DT I had my first session with my acupuncture lady today and she gave me some very useful information. She says If you have plenty of embies frozen its a good idea to try and get half of them to day 5 because at least you know you are putting viable embies back in. I had 2 x 2DT last time and got a BFN...my DH and I have no fetility issues but he had vasectomy 3 years ago so I was confused when we got our BFN and Im now determined to get my FS to try to get all our little embies to day 5 before ET. But like many of you ladies have said Im sure there are pros and cons to both. Good luck for your BT tomorrow Jb2011you get your BFP! and thank you for the info on 3 and 5 DT....Best of luck to all of you ladies waiting for your BFP this month sending and to you all xxxx

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Emzy5 For This Useful Post:

MGC Bertie  (23-07-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    We have done 5 full stim cycles and one fet. My clinic prefers 5dt as do I. We went through ivf as dh had a vasectomy 14 years ago. We were the 'easy' couple. So with our cycles we have done:
    Ivf 1 - 5dt - bfn
    Ivf 2 - 2dt - bfn
    Fet - 5dt - bfn
    Ivf 3 - 2x5dt - bfp (mc)
    Ivf 4 - 2x5dt - bfp (mc)
    Ivf 5 - 2x3dt - in tww

My FS decided to do a 3dt this time as he thought it could be that my embryos don't like a clinic environment. They all seem to do well until after d3 then drop off.

What's the correct answer? Who knows. There is not way to do a trial with the same eggs in each environment.

18. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Appy For This Useful Post:

Emzy5  (23-07-2013),MGC Bertie  (23-07-2013)