+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Day Sleeping... Help!!!

I'm at a bit of a loss with baby number 2 (boy). Baby number 1 was a perfect sleeper and no issues what so ever, always had a dummy etc.
    Baby 2 is 6 weeks old and cannot sleep longer than 40 mins during the day, wants a dummy sometimes but spits it out and wakes up then cries and doesn't want it but also struggles to settles himself again, then after some crying wants the dummy back, he is a good night sleeper, after a dream feed only wakes the once, doesn't have a dummy all night and then wakes around at 7am.

I have tried this week to teach him self settling with some/alot of crying involved to which he did respond slightly but never sleeping longer than 40mins. We seemed to go backwards yesterday and wouldn't self settle and I gave in to the dummy again as he tries to suck his hand through his wrap so not much different!
    I have tried wrapping him tight which he screams at.
    Can you offer any advise about how you got ur LO to sleep longer during the day?

I do follow the SOS routines so he is having the right amount of awake time etc, he is also bottle feed taking between 140-180mls (yes he's a pig) every 4 hours!
    I never had these issues with dd!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hmm...I always attempted to resettle...to make sure he has been in the cot for an hour.

To be honest my Ds at 12 months still often had only 2 x 45 minute naps. Frustrating but I found it easier to cope when I gave up the fight, iykwim?

What State are you in?

Also, what are his night sleeps like?

Sent from my GT-I9100 using The Bub Hub mobile app

Thanks
    Reviews
    it sounds like his sleep cycles are 40minutes. Thats great! I wouldnt expect a 6 week old to be able to self settle. I also wouldnt expect the same things to work with your ds that worked for your dd. Its trial and error and i think your going thru that atm. DS needs to know you will be there all the time, he's gaining your trust so soothe him when he wakes with a cuddle or get him up and watch him closely when hes tired again and try for another nap before he's due for a feed. I'd ditch the dummy if he's playing around with it.
    Sleeping longer is a learnt process as they mature.
    I didnt bother with routines as such untill about 4mths. Before then i went with the flow, cuddled lots (ds lived in the sling lol) and fed ds to sleep - whatever worked with a needy toddler about! He was a cat napper 30mins at a time but walking him around in the sling would get him back to sleep and he gave us 5-6hrs stretches of a night so i could cope with his day cat napping ok.
    Goodluck, enjoy your little boy while he's to precious and tiny
    Last edited by Little Miss Muffet; 23-06-2013 at 14:38.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Little Miss Muffet For This Useful Post:

FrothyFrog  (24-06-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    After a dream feed at 10pm he will only wake the once around 3am then at 7am!
    I feel that babies need more sleep than what he's getting?

Thanks
    Reviews
    I gave my 6w old 20ml weak Chamomile tea yesterday for the 1st time to help his Colic and also drank it myself for BF. He hasn't had a long day sleep in a week and today slept 3hrs, 1hr, 3hrs and last night from 1am-7am straight. Previously he always woke for a 3or4am feed.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    It's probably a lot to ask for a 6 week old to self settle. When he stirs during his day sleeps can you pick him up and rock him back to sleep? He might then go back down for another snooze. It's trial and error though.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Today he would of only slept a total of 1 .5 hours for the whole day this is pretty bad!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    My DS never slept for more than 40mins at a time in the day until he was 9 months, but like yours he slept well at night. 1.5 hours total day sleep was about average for us.

I didn't ever leave him to cry though as it was too hard for both of us. I know how exhausting it can be and people who have babies who sleep for longer have NO idea how hard it can be having no time to yourself in the day.

But DS did grow out of it. At the same time I went back to work lol!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hmmm babies need more sleep than this so it's concerning me a bit! I also have a toddler so I can't devote my whole day to him.
    Surely there must be something wrong if he can't sleep properly

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I don't think so necessarily....

There is an "average" amount of sleep of course but in order to get an average there would be some babies who sleep more and sleep less.