+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default How often & how long does your baby feed??

So I am currently demand feeding my nearly 7 week old & I'm just wondering what your babies feeding patterns are like?? Every day is different.. But the days when he wants to feed for hours I worry he isn't getting enough milk & that's why he's staying on for so long.

Would love your input...

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    500 Posts in a week
    400 Posts in a week300 posts in a week200 Posts in a week100 Posts in a weekFunniest Caption
    My DS is almost 5 months. He feeds every 2-4 hrs sometimes 1.5 if he only has one side and he feeds for 4-5 mins on each side.

Very different to my DS1 who used to feed up to 40 mins at a time every hour or two.

If you're demand feeding you really just need to watch your baby. If he is content after a feed and having enough wet and dirty nappies he is getting enough.

Also they go through phases of increased feeding during growth spurts. If you feed as much as he wants your supply will adjust to make more.

Sent from my telecommunications device.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    DD is 7 weeks and feeds 2-3 hourly in the day and cluster feeds between 5pm-7pm almost constantly on the boob. Plus I too her up with a bottle of expressed milk before bed.
    She wakes once to feed overnight.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to BlueLips For This Useful Post:

Raylin Park  (23-06-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    She only takes 1 side a feed and feeds for around 30 minutes.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    At that age DD was feeding for an hour at a time, every two hours. They are all different though and at that age they are still building your supply for all those early growth spurts

Thanks
    Reviews
    Dd is 4w3d and has days where it feels like she's constantly on the boob. But she's gained 300g this week so I'm obviously doing something right lol

O have my doubts sometimes but I think you just have to go with the flow. If he's content, peeing and pooing regularly and gaining weight I wouldnt worry

Sent from my HTC One X using The Bub Hub mobile app

Thanks
    Reviews
    Okay, this might be a stupid question. But I have been expressing & bottle feeding 1-2 times a day (suggestion from midwife when he was 2 weeks old as he wasn't gaining weight - so she suggested to give him an 'easy' feed to get some more milk into him)

I am worried about my supply being low... My breasts don't feel hard (only in the mornings)... And I rarely get that let down feeling.
    Is it possible that because I am bottle feeding, he isn't stimulating my breast enough because he might not be sucking as hard now that he's used to the bottle.. I have him using a slow flow teet, but I assume it would still take less effort to get the milk then the breast..

I don't know whether that's stupid.. But should I cut out my bottle feeding??

Thanks
    Reviews
    I can't really answer re the bottle question, but I wouldnt use the firmness of your breasts as an indication of your supply. Your supply has probably just settled down. Mine never feel hard anymore, unless dd only feeds from one side so the other side can go 6 hours without being drained. Generally though they feel like normal pre pregnancy breasts. I also rarely get the let down feeling.

Are you having ds weighed regularly? That will be your best indication as to whether he's getting enough.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by mrstuilawa View Post
    I can't really answer re the bottle question, but I wouldnt use the firmness of your breasts as an indication of your supply. Your supply has probably just settled down. Mine never feel hard anymore, unless dd only feeds from one side so the other side can go 6 hours without being drained. Generally though they feel like normal pre pregnancy breasts. I also rarely get the let down feeling.

Are you having ds weighed regularly? That will be your best indication as to whether he's getting enough.

Oh really?? Thank you! I just assumed I would feel the hard feeling between feeds forever.. Lol. Yes, he is the right weight now breast feeding stresses me out lol... Just cause I never know how much he's actually getting & sometimes it's hard to tell whether he's just comforting or feeding.

Thanks
    Reviews
    No worries! what I was told was to listen carefully for swallowing. If you can't hear swallowing trying stroking his jaw to see if it'll stimulate him to swallow. Otherwise I take dd off and wake her up a little and switch boobs. It ensures I get a bigger break between feeds coz she's got a habit of falling asleep on the boob then waking up half an hour to an hour later still hungry!