+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default 15 month old sleep issue

I'm hoping for some helpful tips or advise...

My 15 month old son has always been a notoriously bad sleeper.. Except when going down for the night initially...

He started sleeping through at about 10 months, but the last week he will wake around 9-10pm either hubby or myself will going in and lie him back down and he will settle fairly quickly, until we walk out!

He has never had an issue with his room before but it seems like he doesn't want to be alone ATM... But he is fine when we initially put him down...

Please help!!!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    What about a night light or radio? I think babies become more aware of their surroundings once they turn 1 and realise they are alone. My DD is also 15m and we find around 9pm we have to turn the radio for her probably three times a week.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Our son is 14months - he did this a few months ago. We tried controlled crying - it was an absolute last resort for us but it worked! We would just go in after 5 mins, then the next night 10 mins, until eventually we just stopped going in at all. We do go in if he is absolutely hysterical, but we don't take him out of his cot - we just give him a little cuddle and say goodnight but sometimes it makes it worse if we go in. Now he re settles himself - my only regret is not trying it earlier!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/1/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 7/11/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 3/10/14100 Posts in a week
    Is something changing in between when you put bub down and when bub wakes at 9/10? Do you feed/pat bub to sleep? Play music then turn it off?

It could be sleep aid/external stimuli as mentioned above. Or it could be that bub woke for a genuine reason 1 or 2 nights (teeth) then got into a habit. Unless bub is crying hysterically then I would leave bub to self settle. If you need to go in do so with minimum fuss (no lights, no talking etc).

Good luck

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks for the quick replies

Nothing has changed in the time he goes down to the time he wakes... I actually make sure that the tv is on when I do put him down and leave the hall light on (just outside his closed door) until I go to bed myself..

I might try the night light...

He is actually starting to refuse his dummy lately too, so it makes it harder.. We have a blanket pulled through the ring of it and he loves it, well the blanket more so now..

He was sick last week, hand foot and mouth and cut 3 eye teeth at the same time so was quiet restless... When he woke then, I would pick him up, give him a good cuddle until he settled then put him back down. He would be fine after that.
    But this whole crying when we leave the room is new...

Also, my husband does FIFO work and is home this week... However to try and stick to routine as much as possible I always go into him as I'm worried he might get more upset that its not me or that he might get excited that DH is there. But he has gone in a few times and has the same result. Do you think hubby being home could have something to do with it?

I'm not keen on CC but will try it if I have to... Just want to see if there are other options I could try first.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/1/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 7/11/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 3/10/14100 Posts in a week
    Perhaps bub got used to the attention when waking last week when sick. Perhaps bub is waking out of habit now? In which case unless bub is crying hysterically, don't go in. Bub will resettle. It may take 20 minutes the first night, but each night it will get much quicker.

With the TV being on at bedtime..zis the TV off when bub wakes later?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Last night I decided to be firm with him.

He actually was quiet difficult to get to sleep when I first put him down which for him is weird.
    I went in once, and after that he was only complaining, not really crying so I left him and he drifted off after about 10 mins.

He woke up about an hr later but again not really crying so I left him.

Then about 12ish he woke again I left him for a bit, then he started really crying so my husband went in. Even though I told him to only go in give him a cuddle and lie him back down, he ended up sitting in the rocking chair until DS fell asleep. Then he was up at 4.30 . He always wakes at 4-5am and I normally bring him into bed with me and give him a feed.

So last night wasn't as horrendous as the previous few!

Thanks for your tips! Fingers crossed he will continue to improve with this new way