+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Can heat packs be used on stomach area when pregnant?

Hi Ladies,

After my NT scan yesterday I am getting extreme pain in my pubic bone, right side of my stomach, right hip & right side of my back. The pain is all through my right leg and is throbbing so badly I'm having trouble walking.

The scanner used a lot (excessive) pressure to try & get the measurements during the scan, I was in tears several times. All the points where he pressed hard for long periods of time are where I am in pain (with the exception of my leg which I'm hoping is radiating from the round ligament).

One point sent severe pain through my spine and I'm hoping he hasn't caused my vertebrae to shift/slip further (this would explain the leg pain). The pressure was in the middle of my stomach level with my spine.

Anyway pain killers aren't helping so I used a heat pack on my back & leg which gave a little relief. I'd like to try on my stomach but am worried the heat will hurt the baby. Does anyone know if I can or can't use a heat pack on my stomach area?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    You sure can! Heat packs are fantastic especially in those final few weeks and for ligament pain.
    I prefer the wheat ones but the gel ones are great too.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to MrsOhara For This Useful Post:

babybump08  (22-06-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I think the rule with heat is to make sure that your core body temp doesn't go up as that can be harmful to baby....

I would check with your OB though as I don't think you should be suffering like that after a scan! Get your OB to check you and bub out and then you can discuss the heat pack option while you're there.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to giggle berry For This Useful Post:

babybump08  (22-06-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by giggle berry View Post
    I think the rule with heat is to make sure that your core body temp doesn't go up as that can be harmful to baby....

I would check with your OB though as I don't think you should be suffering like that after a scan! Get your OB to check you and bub out and then you can discuss the heat pack option while you're there.
    I second that...that sounds horrible! I thought it was standard to send you out for a walk and a cold drink if they couldn't get measurements, not use excessive pressure.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to TheMadHatter For This Useful Post:

babybump08  (22-06-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks Ladies :-)

How do I monitor my core temp? Is that just my normal temp on a thermometer?

I have Failed Back Syndrome - 3 failed spinal surgeries to remove disc bulges imbedded in my left sciatic nerve. As a result I've lost over 60% disc height in my L5/S1 disc which has caused the L5 vertebrae to slip backwards and crash down onto the S1 vertebrae. The failed surgery has also left me with permanent sciatic nerve damage down my left leg.

One of the places he was pressing down on was in the centre of my stomach and I felt shooting pain in my spine. I am so hoping this was just a pressure thing rather than something slipping and causing the resulting leg pain.

This pressure was excessive and prolonged (lasting minutes). DH had to tell him several times to release the pressure as I was crying. DH also told him about my condition and he answered yes I read her notes but I need to get the neck thickness measurement and baby isn't cooperating.

I've rung my ob's after hours clinic and been told to take panadol and if it doesn't go away by tomorrow night I'm to go in & see them on Monday. I did tell her my pain meds (which consist of panadol & stronger pain meds) aren't even taking the edge off it and was told I had to put up with it.

Thanks
    Reviews
    It was done at a public hospital, would that make a difference in procedure? This is the first time I've been through the public system.

ETA: I just applied the heat pack and noticed my stomach is bruised in 5 places. I don't bruise easily either.
    Last edited by babybump08; 22-06-2013 at 19:07.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    You poor thing, that sounds so wrong to me, I can't believe a scan put you through so much pain, I would report the sonographer!
    Yes, a heat pack is fine. The issue with overheating is your core temperature, so prolonged exposure to heat, a fever etc.
    I hope you get some relief, I really feel for you.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to MummaOJ For This Useful Post:

babybump08  (22-06-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by babybump08 View Post

ETA: I just applied the heat pack and noticed my stomach is bruised in 5 places. I don't bruise easily either.
    You definitely should take photos of the bruises and send them in with a complaint!!

How's your back and leg pain now?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by giggle berry View Post
    You definitely should take photos of the bruises and send them in with a complaint!!

How's your back and leg pain now?
    It's finally started to ease off, thankfully. I ended up being admitted for 6 days as the pain got worse - they were worried it may be a central spinal cord compression. They still don't know if it's my back that's caused the issue or the round ligament was badly bruised. Being that it's starting to get better I'm guessing it's the round ligament.

My midwife has laid a complaint with the u/s techs boss, so hope I don't get him again at my next scan.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to babybump08 For This Useful Post:

giggle berry  (05-07-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Glad to hear you're ok and to hear she lodged a complaint! It is disgraceful that you were injured like that during a scan!