+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    MilkingMaid is offline Winner 2009 - Mod Award - most supportive member
    Question those who don't question authority
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by redlipsandpearls View Post
    Aren't those numbers skewed though? Reasons like elective c/s are more accepted when you're paying are also accounted in the statistics.
    I believe that accounts for a small amount of the difference.This research is pretty interesting: It compares only low risk women.http://bmjopen.bmj.com/content/2/5/e001723.full
    Among low-risk women rates of obstetric intervention were highest in private hospitals and lowest in public hospitals. Low-risk primiparous women giving birth in a private hospital compared to a public hospital had higher rates of induction (31% vs 23%);instrumental birth (29% vs 18%); caesarean section(27% vs 18%), epidural (53% vs 32%) and episiotomy(28% vs 12%) and lower normal vaginal birth rates(44% vs 64%). Low-risk multiparous women had higher rates of instrumental birth (7% vs 3%),caesarean section (27% vs 16%), epidural (35% vs12%) and episiotomy (8% vs 2%) and lower normal vaginal birth rates (66% vs 81%). As interventions were introduced during labour, the rate of interventions in birth increased.Conclusions Low-risk primiparous women giving birth in private hospitals have more chance of a surgical birth than a normal vaginal birth and this phenomenon has increased markedly in the past decade.
    This trend has not changed since 2008.
    Last edited by MilkingMaid; 22-06-2013 at 15:09.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to MilkingMaid For This Useful Post:

Bubbles10  (22-06-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I have full cover with hcf and went private. I had a high risk pregnancy so it cost men about 6k out of pocket on ob/drs bills during the pregnancy and $1100 out of pocket for anethetist ( had to have a c section). The health insurance covered my 6 night stay in a private hospital (which was great care).

Thanks
    Reviews
    I went public with my DD and wouldn't have had it any other way it was fantastic apart from sharing a room I was given great care my whole pregnancy

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Just to add i had my first 2 thru public and my 3rd private.

The 3 deliveries were all very similar but the aftercare at the private was fantastic compared to the public even though both times at the public i lucked out & got private room.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to RmumR For This Useful Post:

clucky_duck  (15-07-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    I've had all 4, all c-sections public.
    No complaints at all, both hospitals were amazing, as was the care I was given

Thanks
    Reviews
    My first was public, no complaints at all, care was great and there was no push to leave but also not made to stay.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I have private insurance for all other matters but after lengthy consideration we decided to go public for birthing.

Despite wishing I could have an Ob like Nina from Offspring (!) I think midwives are super capable and with a low-risk pregnancy DH and I just couldn't fathom paying the out-of-pocket costs for just a bit of privacy and comfort.

There will be plenty to spend money on down the track I'm sure!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Yep. Unfortunately you will have out of pocket!

I'm going public and down graded my private health as I couldn't justify the cost any more.

Fees include -

Excess when admitted to hospital
    Ob visits (each visit can be approx $100 pending on ob individual fees)
    Ob management fee payable at 20 weeks. Some range from $500 to $3000!!!
    Scans / blood tests
    Any out of pocket at the hospital such as anaesthetic costs etc

Most people end up spending approx $5K out of pocket on a private birth

Sent from my GT-I9300 using The Bub Hub mobile app