+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Talking Infant circ falls to 11.5%

Birth data released on Friday by the ABS allow a preliminary computation of last year's circumcision rate for boys aged less than 6 months, showing the rate has fallen to 11.5% in 2012 compared with 12% in 2011.

The fall was largely driven by NSW -- the State with the highest rate -- which fell to 16.5% from 17.1% in 2011. It should be noted that Anthony Dilley, NSW most prolific circumciser, had this to say in the Sydney Morning Herald in February 2010:

"By the time today's baby boys are in kindergarten, it will be 30 per cent."

Which turns out to be just more bullsh*t from another profiteer.

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to JohnC For This Useful Post:

BohemianGypsy  (22-06-2013),Busy-Bee  (22-06-2013),Mathermy  (22-06-2013)

MilkingMaid is offline Winner 2009 - Mod Award - most supportive member
    Question those who don't question authority
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    30% hah!

Well, there won't be any 'embarassed intact boys in the locker rooms ' by those statistics....

Lovely to see the numbers dropping.

ETA - Just did a quick google to see what the numbers are here in NZ, was pleased to see them come up as 10%
    Last edited by MilkingMaid; 22-06-2013 at 06:29.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to MilkingMaid For This Useful Post:

Blossompossumxxxx  (22-06-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Circ Rate 11.5% in 2012

Interesting how stats have changed. Qld had the highest incidence 10 years ago, now qld seems to be around the Australian average. I checked the 2013 stats recently and the one state where rates are not dropping appears to be SA. Does SA now have the highest incidence?

I suggest the stats reflect circ incidence in the early 1980s as most of today's fathers were born then.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I don't know why anyone would remove part of their child's autonomy apart from medical reasons . How would those same parents react to being forcibly held down and a body part removed...?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by moggy View Post
    Interesting how stats have changed. Qld had the highest incidence 10 years ago, now qld seems to be around the Australian average. I checked the 2013 stats recently and the one state where rates are not dropping appears to be SA. Does SA now have the highest incidence?

I suggest the stats reflect circ incidence in the early 1980s as most of today's fathers were born then.
    Another interesting thing, the last time the incidence of infant circumcision was this low in Australia was probably pre 1920, ie nearly 100 years ago. I know members of my family were circumcised at birth in the 1920s.

MilkingMaid is offline Winner 2009 - Mod Award - most supportive member
    Question those who don't question authority
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    I wonder what the rate would fall to, if the only infant circs were true medical reasons? 2%? 5%? Honestly wouldn't have a clue!

I hope the rates are dropping in the US, the number of parents circing there is simply jawdropping.

For example:

The state with the highest rate of infant circumcision during the 2009-2010 year was West Virginia (86%) followed closely by Michigan and Kentucky (both 85%). The state with the lowest rate of infant circumcision during the same period was Nevada (11%) followed by Washington (14%).
    Last edited by MilkingMaid; 22-06-2013 at 14:08.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by AM View Post
    I wonder what the rate would fall to, if the only infant circs were true medical reasons?
    Therapeutic circumcision of infants is exceedingly rare. The risk of requiring a circ by age 15 for medical reasons was 3% in 2010, about the same as in the UK.

Quote Originally Posted by moggy View Post
    Does SA now have the highest incidence?
    South Australia has been "stuck" at around 15% since 2008, which I expect will start falling in the next couple of years.

State rates themselves disguise some wide disparities, with metro areas having generally low rates and regional areas high rates, eg in NSW the highest rates are in the areas around Tamworth and Albury (> 20%), while most of Sydney is around or below 10%.